• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why did my rabbit die? Was it the cat litter??? Please share your knowledge.

Sue_P

Young Bun
For my own peace of mind I need to know what caused my bunny’s death.
wobblyeyes.gif

Henry suddenly stopped eating and didn’t produce any poos, one minute he was fine the next he wasn’t. A day and a half later he saw the vet who gave him 3 injections to get his guts going and said his back teeth looked like they needed re-doing. (He had them burred 7 months previous). I asked the vet if he could have a blockage in his tummy from eating his own fur (he was especially furry and it got everywhere believe me
c055.gif
) and I said I’d spotted him eating his cat litter and asked why he’d done that. She said maybe he was trying to grind down his teeth a bit if they were causing him probs or maybe he was trying to eat his own poo but was mistakenly taking litter instead.
a050.gif
I force-fed him for a day unsuccessfully as he wouldn’t swallow and the injections gave him bad watery uncontrollable diahorrea but slowly he recovered and started eating again but mainly only when I put food in front of him or water infront of him otherwise he wouldn’t go to feed/drink. He wouldn’t eat huge amounts and I observed him eating and it looked as though he couldn’t chew right as he’d chew slow and seemed reluctant and would drop things mid-way through and would avoid his favourite treats so after a few days I decided to give him a back teeth operation thinking his lack of eating could be down to his teeth causing him pain or difficulty as the vet suggested. He came out of the op fine and seemed very bright for a couple of days and ate by himself but started going off his food and he still avoided some of his favourite foods. Again he stopped eating and pooing and I took him back to the vets and she gave me some medication to get his guts going but he didn’t seem to improve and looked worse so I took him back for 3 more injections the next day. In his last few days he was eating but very small amounts, not enough IMO to sustain him so I tried force-feeding again (reluctantly as I found the other time distressing as he wouldn’t take it), this time he was ever so good and lapped it up and I force-fed him for nearly 12 hours, I handed him to my mother whilst I went to work, 2 hours later he was dead.
e025.gif
In the last 10 hours he hadn’t pooed but he did a pee 3 hours before he died and had a belly full of vegetable baby food and Critical Care mix. In all he’d been ill (on and off) for 2 weeks.

Since his death I by chance stumbled upon information online that you should never have cat litter around a rabbit.
k022.gif
I didn’t know this.
n015.gif
Pamphlets don’t warn of death by cat litter,
a050.gif
cat litter has no warnings on the packets,
p055.gif
the vet and nurse at the vets didn’t gasp when I said I’d seen him eating his litter, they didn’t tell me that I wasn’t supposed to use it.
c055.gif
Henry was 3 and 3 quarters old and I’d been giving him cat litter for one year but up until 2 months ago I mixed sawdust in with the litter (as I had lots spare), I’d seen him eat the sawdust too. For the last two months he had purely cat litter, Morrisons Value cat litter. I’m not 100% sure if that’s classed as clumping cat litter or not. I rang the customer care line the other day, explained what had happened, asked if it was classed as clumping cat litter and asked if it’s made out of clay but surprise surprise no one got back to me with the information. & all the packet says on it for ingredients is……. wait for it…… “cat litter”.
c055.gif

Henry has had various medical complaints since I got him 2 years ago. Permanent blocked tearducts, he had 2 white growths growing on one eyeball which no vet could say what it was or give any treatment although I’d tried various eyedrop medications. (I believe the lump was a side effect of that eye being overly runny all the time). He seemed resistant to mite medication and had them twice and each time I’d have to overdose him to get rid of them. He’d stopped eating 3 times previous; the first time he acted very oddly and looked very uncomfy but it totally went within 8 hours (during the night before I even had chance to get him to the vets), that was when he lived outdoors and had never come into contact with cat litter before, the second time he didn’t eat for 5 days after his first back teeth burring operation and he had injections and I force-fed him then, then 5 months or so ago he didn’t eat for 24 hours and again looked uncomfy but he was back on form quickly after.
a050.gif
I’d also seen him with what looked like a cold before.

Whilst ill I had asked the vet how long could he go without eating much and she said as long as he’s getting fluids - quite a while. She didn’t seem overly concerned about him as he looked bright in the vets room when she saw him less than 2 days before his death. She said to give her a ring in a couple of days time for a progress report. I don’t think she expected him to die.
a050.gif
Afterwards I asked why he died and she said it could have been like toxins or bacteria in the gut (she got a bit technical with me and I can’t remember word for word what she said plus I was rather traumatised at the time) but she said his guts must have had toxins in. She said his tummy hadn’t gas in when she last checked him.

In your opinion do you think his death was caused by him eating cat litter?
a040.gif
When I saw him eat it a couple of times he’d just stick his head in it, shift it around a bit and then take one piece and grate his teeth on it - he didn’t eat lots by any means. If rabbits can die from eating cat litter then why isn’t there warnings about it?
a050.gif
& why on earth didn’t the vet consider his guts may have a stone in or be turning like cement? I’d have paid for an operation to remove the blockage rather than give a dying rabbit a dental.
c055.gif
I mean I take it the vet didn’t know herself that cat litter can kill, right?
a050.gif
Could the fact that Henry could still poo after his first bought of illness and up to 10 hours before his death mean that there wasn’t a blockage inside of him?
a015.gif
I’ve felt terrible since finding out more about cat litter, knowing that I gave him something that caused his death is awful to accept and I feel a complete clutz for not knowing or doing more research beforehand on litters and not trailing around the internet before his death. It could have been avoided and we could have had another 4 happy years together.
c053.gif
I need to know the truth though, I don’t want to blame myself and feel guilt wracked for life if the vet had good reason to not suggest his guts were blocked with cat litter, but at the same time if the vet didn’t do her job right and when informed he’d eaten cat litter should have operated and due to the fact she didn’t he needlessly died then I’m going to complain. Please give your opinions as I loved him like crazy and the cause of his death bothers me a lot.
e015.gif

Without a post mortem its impossible to say what he died of but a blockage caused by eating the litter is a possiblity.

I use cat litter for my bunnies but its the non clumping wood pellet type and neither of them eat it.

Try not to blame yourself for his death, bunnies chew and eat lots of things they shouldnt and you weren't to know this could happen.

Thanks.
e015.gif

Is Morrisons Value cat litter the clumping sort do you think?
f025.gif
I’m not up on different litter types.
a050.gif

Thanks.
e015.gif

Is Morrisons Value cat litter the clumping sort do you think?
f025.gif
I’m not up on different litter types.
a050.gif

I wouldnt know as Im not a cat owner. Lots of things can cause blockages though so it could have been anything.

It is impossible to know for sure what the cause for the problem was without a post-mortem examination. In the rabbits that I have seen with cat litter blockages, they have eaten a reasonable amount of it and it has completely blocked the intestine causing a rapid bloat and severe symptoms (collapse, abdominal swelling and very severe pain) within a few hours. I would be less suspicious of a case like your bunny where there were milder signs for a longer period, it could be consistent with an enterotoxaemia (where bacteria from the intestines become imbalanced and move from the intestines into the body and blood) among other possible problems.

I sort of wish I’d spent that £60 on a autopsy now.
a080.gif
It’s gonna bother me forever.
c055.gif
Thanks for your thoughts Marie.
d038.gif
I did sort of wonder if his intestines were blocked with cat litter - how did he manage to poo within his last 1 ½ to 2 weeks.
c028.gif
Possibly when he first got bad he could have eaten litter causing him pain and his stomach to bloat but surely for him to recover (sort of) for the next 1 ½ weeks and pass hard poos there can’t have been much of a blockage if any after his initial explosive diahorrea session.
a015.gif
He could have eaten some more just before his death causing a second blockage, I think I recall him doing it again but I’m not certain (I should have been paying more attention I know
d040.gif
). That doesn’t account for him not eating much inbetween worst points though.
a050.gif
He didn’t eat as normal the entire 2 weeks.

Is bacteria in the intestines normal do you know?
c025.gif
Did I do anything wrong to cause a higher level of bacteria inside of him i.e. living in unhygienic conditions?
a050.gif
Could it have been like a piece of cat litter piercing his insides and causing a cut that got infected with bacteria?
a040.gif
From what I’ve read cat litter turns to cement in their guts but the cat litter I had had fine dust around it and stones in it. It was mainly stones not dust. I examined a piece of stone and it’s rock hard, not something that would turn to cement, I doubt something that could have been crushed smaller by his teeth, can rabbits pass small stones even with sharp edges to them?
f025.gif
Like I say, he’d only take one piece, not several. Could a stone stay in him for a long period of time or would it just be forced out the other end with everything else pretty quick?
c010.gif
Sorry for asking a lot of questions when you probably can’t give a definite answer
f010.gif
but it’s something I can’t stop thinking about, I want to know more.

What causes enterotoxaemia? Is it caused by something they’ve eaten or is it just one of those things?
a050.gif
Do only rabbits with poor immune systems/unhealthy ones get it and the old ones?

Hi there

Bunnies hide illness's very well, and probably by the time you noticed your rabbit was already very ill, if a bunny stops eating you need to get to the tabbit savvy vet immediately the same day.

We have lost two bunnies through stasis, which can be caused by stress, upset, or an underlying problem like spurs on teeth, ear infection etc.

With our bunny Dylan we tortured ourselves about him having been chewing at a rubber mat in his room and whether that caused him to die.

We use a litter tray with newspaper in the bottom and just hay on top, no cat litter at all.

Owning a rabbit is a steep learning curve, and can be totally heartbreaking.

Please try not to beat yourself up about it, your bunnies death probably had nothing to do with the cat litter and more to do with the dreaded stasis which can be caused by a number of things.

When Henry used to live outdoors we lined his hutch with lino cos he’s always had an overly sh*tty bottom and he made a few attempts to chew that but he never swallowed, just ripped it up. Just as he did with cardboard, he loved destroying things.
a078.gif
Maybe the rubber mat had nothin’ to do with Dylan dying?
a050.gif

If Henry had stasis it’s possible when he first got ill it was due to a spur on his back teeth, the vet didn’t say they looked terrible though, not sure what kept him ill though. He probably was stressed before he died because a few days before we took him to my mum’s house and put him in the outdoor pen whilst we were waiting to go to the vets and he perked up there and started grazing on the grass, he looked brighter and happy so in his final days and due to me working and not being able to keep an eye on him I carried him 10 minutes each way in a cat basket to my mum’s house for daytime visits. I’m sure the pen didn’t cause him stress, he’d lived in it for a year, but I’m sure the rocky journey there with traffic whizzing past didn’t help.
p070.gif
He was quite a bit deaf though, the car noise can’t have bothered him to much.
a050.gif

I don’t like the rabbit owner learning curve.
a040.gif
The cat litter I gave him might have killed him and it’s so not fair.
c030.gif
Personally I think more warning about litter types should be out there.
c055.gif
No pamphlet I’ve seen says death can be caused by the wrong sort and with no warnings on cat litter bags how are people to know?
a015.gif
Little fluffy lives will be needlessly wasted again and again.
c053.gif
I'd love to be an important person and be able to change things like that.
a010.gif

When Henry used to live outdoors we lined his hutch with lino cos he’s always had an overly sh*tty bottom and he made a few attempts to chew that but he never swallowed, just ripped it up. Just as he did with cardboard, he loved destroying things.
a078.gif
Maybe the rubber mat had nothin’ to do with Dylan dying?
a050.gif

If Henry had stasis it’s possible when he first got ill it was due to a spur on his back teeth, the vet didn’t say they looked terrible though, not sure what kept him ill though. He probably was stressed before he died because a few days before we took him to my mum’s house and put him in the outdoor pen whilst we were waiting to go to the vets and he perked up there and started grazing on the grass, he looked brighter and happy so in his final days and due to me working and not being able to keep an eye on him I carried him 10 minutes each way in a cat basket to my mum’s house for daytime visits. I’m sure the pen didn’t cause him stress, he’d lived in it for a year, but I’m sure the rocky journey there with traffic whizzing past didn’t help.
p070.gif
He was quite a bit deaf though, the car noise can’t have bothered him to much.
a050.gif

I don’t like the rabbit owner learning curve.
a040.gif
The cat litter I gave him might have killed him and it’s so not fair.
c030.gif
Personally I think more warning about litter types should be out there.
c055.gif
No pamphlet I’ve seen says death can be caused by the wrong sort and with no warnings on cat litter bags how are people to know?
a015.gif
Little fluffy lives will be needlessly wasted again and again.
c053.gif
I'd love to be an important person and be able to change things like that.
a010.gif

I do agree with you, yes there should be more warnings, I am really sorry about your bunny :cry: xx

Poor you

I'm really sorry about your bunny Sue.

I am sure it wasn't your fault. To cause a significant enough blockage bunny would have had to munch quite a lot of litter, and if he did eat that much, the bloating would have shown significantly sooner imo.

Try not to blame yourself or dwell on it. Most of us are still learning about our bunnies, and it is so easy to get something wrong. Ours has eaten plugged in wires and has managed to get hold of other things she shouldn't be eating. It is really hard work and a lot of it is down to luck.

Sounds to me like your bunny was just a poorly boy, and had had a few health problems.

Biscuit (my bun) nuzzles, shifts round, chews and spits out stones, so I wouldn't by any means be sure that he had eaten them at all. If he is anything like her he would be too fussy to eat anything that didn't taste good enough.

I am very sorry for your loss, but hope you don't blame yourself. :cry:

Thanks for responding again. I’m not ruling out that Henry died from just being a poorly sort of bunny. I’ve looked back at photos of him in his pen and remembered just how much sloppy poo came out from his bottom and how mucked up everything got, his digestive system was just never right and his death could have been down to that maybe.
a050.gif
It’s possible.

I’m thinking of getting a new rabbit to replace him as I’m so lonely now, I’ve become paranoid that the new one could digest something it shouldn’t. There’s always been things of danger in Henry’s pen, like his cuddly toys and a pillow. My neighbour donated a footstool the other day and I thought it would go brilliantly in the pen then worried about if the new rabbit would chew on the fabric of it.
k020.gif
I’m at work all day and can’t keep my eye on things, I guess I’d have to make the pen as safe as poss and get to know the new bunny before leaving it alone with objects of danger. It is a worry though about what they can get up to when you’re not around.
a010.gif

I never saw Henry spit out a piece of cat litter before. It would be nice to think he didn’t swallow the stones. I’m not sure if his belly was swollen or not when he actually died. Less than 2 days before it wasn’t so he can’t have been sat around for too long bloating up. At least that’s something.

Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated.

Thanks for responding again. I’m not ruling out that Henry died from just being a poorly sort of bunny. I’ve looked back at photos of him in his pen and remembered just how much sloppy poo came out from his bottom and how mucked up everything got, his digestive system was just never right and his death could have been down to that maybe.
a050.gif
It’s possible.

I’m thinking of getting a new rabbit to replace him as I’m so lonely now, I’ve become paranoid that the new one could digest something it shouldn’t. There’s always been things of danger in Henry’s pen, like his cuddly toys and a pillow. My neighbour donated a footstool the other day and I thought it would go brilliantly in the pen then worried about if the new rabbit would chew on the fabric of it.
k020.gif
I’m at work all day and can’t keep my eye on things, I guess I’d have to make the pen as safe as poss and get to know the new bunny before leaving it alone with objects of danger. It is a worry though about what they can get up to when you’re not around.
a010.gif

I never saw Henry spit out a piece of cat litter before. It would be nice to think he didn’t swallow the stones. I’m not sure if his belly was swollen or not when he actually died. Less than 2 days before it wasn’t so he can’t have been sat around for too long bloating up. At least that’s something.

Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated.

Hi there

Although stopping bunnies chewing things they shouldn't is important, more important is getting the correct diet, if your bunny like you said had "sloppy poo" then it sounds like their diet wasn't correct.

I would research this before getting another bunny.

Clare x

Henry had sloppy poos from the moment we got him. He refused to eat hay, that didn’t help his wonky teeth. :roll: I cut him grass all the time and put it in a bowl and he’d quite often have that but stopped eating it about 3 or 4 weeks before his death. He was food orientated and loved his treats, he’d get excited when I was dishing out new fruity mix and be under my feet and pounce on it as soon as it was on the ground. :lol: He started to be picky and would leave out the healthy bits but I also gave him the recommended Excell stuff. He had a wide variety of regular fruit and veg and dandelions, he loved his dandelions. The vet said I should stop with the fruity mix (she called “sweeties”) and should stick to the all-in-one pellets. I was going to but in his final couple of weeks I just wanted him to eat anything and get eating properly again so gave him all his faves. His bowl was full of his untouched favourite “sweeties” when he died. :cry: Hopefully the next rabbit will eat hay as it should.

BTW, the rabbit before Henry (who was the next-door neighbours but we ended up looking after him as he was often without food or water :roll: ), he had never been given hay his whole life and lived fine without it. We didn’t even know rabbits were supposed to have hay until we got Henry and did a bit of research. He was eaten by another neighbours dog and I’ve never gotten over it. :cry: They’re both buried near to one another. :cry:

Henry had sloppy poos from the moment we got him. He refused to eat hay, that didn’t help his wonky teeth. :roll: I cut him grass all the time and put it in a bowl and he’d quite often have that but stopped eating it about 3 or 4 weeks before his death. He was food orientated and loved his treats, he’d get excited when I was dishing out new fruity mix and be under my feet and pounce on it as soon as it was on the ground. :lol: He started to be picky and would leave out the healthy bits but I also gave him the recommended Excell stuff. He had a wide variety of regular fruit and veg and dandelions, he loved his dandelions. The vet said I should stop with the fruity mix (she called “sweeties”) and should stick to the all-in-one pellets. I was going to but in his final couple of weeks I just wanted him to eat anything and get eating properly again so gave him all his faves. His bowl was full of his untouched favourite “sweeties” when he died. :cry: Hopefully the next rabbit will eat hay as it should.

BTW, the rabbit before Henry (who was the next-door neighbours but we ended up looking after him as he was often without food or water :roll: ), he had never been given hay his whole life and lived fine without it. We didn’t even know rabbits were supposed to have hay until we got Henry and did a bit of research. He was eaten by another neighbours dog and I’ve never gotten over it. :cry: They’re both buried near to one another. :cry:

Basically a bunny's diet should be as close to their wild relatives diet as possible.

In the wild a bunny will mainly eat grass, but with so many indoor bunnies where grass isn't available, hay is a very good substitute.

A wild bunny would rarely come across fruit and never any of those shop bought treats.

With your next bunny get good quality timothy hay. Also some dried herbs and different kinds of hays from somewhere like "The hay Expert".

Also ask on here if anyone knows a rabbit savvy vet in your area.

I know it is difficult to refuse giving treats to a bunny, mine would happily eat raisins and biscuits all day, but selective eating can lead to all kinds of problems as can overweight and inactive bunnies.

I wish Henry did eat his Timothy Hay as I had to spend hours cutting grass for him.
k015.gif
In wintertime I had to resort to going into some National Trust’s grounds with a pair of lethal looking pruners and get chopping their grass in the middle of a field. I’d get some weird looks from tourists and got asked questions a lot.
risa-mano.gif
But I did it for him because I loved him.
a078.gif
& the cold used to absolutely kill my fingers sometimes too.
c055.gif
I even did in when it was covered in snow.

I gave Henry a slice of apple every day, he’d be getting blackberries right now if he was still alive,
a010.gif
they’re everywhere, it’s sad knowing I can’t give them to him.
e015.gif
His leafbeat patch is overgrown now too,
c053.gif
he should be eating all of that, he loved leafbeat, the same with the other rabbit before him.
e025.gif

I’ve never heard of the Hay Expert before, I don’t think there’s one anywhere around here.
a050.gif
My mum’s best friend has horses and we pinched some of her horses hay for Henry’s bedding in his hutch, I don’t think that was good quality though as it was a bit dusty, I’d sometimes see Henry take a nibble of that instead of the Timothy Hay in his hay rack though.
c055.gif

Where do you get dried herbs from?
a015.gif
I ain’t into cooking BTW, I have a far worse diet than Henry ever did, there’s no vegetables in my house at all, I live off cheese, crisps and chocolate.
risa-mano.gif
Would I get herbs from the pet shop at the market or a supermarket?
a050.gif
What sort of herbs, I know nothin’ about herbs.
a040.gif

I thought my Henry was fat from me giving him too much food but the vet said he was OK, I don’t think he put on hardly any weight since I got him from the rescue centre.
a078.gif
He was all fur really.
k015.gif

Here’s a pic of him so you know who I’ve been talking about all this time….

2009-03-19Henryf.jpg

He’s licking Patch his companion.
a025.gif
I buried him clinging onto Patch, Patch had been with him all his life.

Why ask for a rabbit savvy vet? Are you saying that normal vets aren’t educated enough about bunnies?
a035.gif
I thought they all had to pass exams and know all about rabbits, they’re pretty normal pets ain’t they?
c025.gif

BTW, what do you think of Henry’s accommodation as I began to worry his room was making him sad.
f010.gif
In summer the trees at the back of my house make the room look a bit gloomy, there wasn’t sun shining in for him to sunbathe,
a050.gif
and I worried the pen was a bit boring.
a010.gif
It took up nearly all of the room, about the length of a bed but square shaped, I had various cardboard boxes around for him to run around and stuff but I worried his accommodation was a bit dowdy. In winter it was better for him as the wind outside would make his bad eye run more and he hated the rain so him being a house rabbit in winter was good, but in summer I’d just leave one window an inch open whilst I was at work as the back of the house is vulnerable to burglars and when I got home it was a bit stuffy. Not so bad for me but maybe he felt there was no air?
a050.gif

DSC01370.jpg

2009-03-15Henryspen.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

(He’d had a strop that day and had gone on a ripping frenzy.
k015.gif
)

DSC01372.jpg

Hygiene standards vastly improved after this shot was taken but you can see what I meant about him having a sh*tty **** poo problem.
c055.gif

DSC01380-1.jpg

View from Henry’s window. Behind the trees with berries on there’s an almightily tall tree which blocks a lot of the light.

If I could have Henry back I’d have made more effort to take him round to my mum’s house more and let him in his old pen for a run on the grass. Here’s a pic of his old pen where he lived for a year….

Henryspen.jpg

It looks a little small in the pic but height-wise it’s over 6 foot. The hutch was big too. If I got another bunny and took it round there for days out would it enjoy it or unsettle it?
a015.gif
It’d mean a 10 minute walk each way in a cat basket.

Also if I get another bunny, I sort of want one as I can give it one-on-one love then and I’ve always been bothered by cost, two rabbits equal twice the cost.
a050.gif
Twice the worry. I worry abut fighting when I’m out. I worry about twice as much poo and pee.
g014.gif
Will one be happy indoors in Heny’s old pen or do you think I’ll be making something fluffy and cute miserable?
c028.gif

Ahhh he was a real cutie :love:

The Hay Experts are an online company.

Your room layout looks fab and the outside part looks good too.

Here is Biscuit's room if you need some ideas:

2m27yjc.jpg

281d91x.jpg

2jedais.jpg

Also do you have an ice pod when the weather is hot, we also have a fan (obviously bunny proof lead).

I noticed lots of magazines in the room, these aren't that good for bunnies to chew.

Need to go home now but will answer your other queries properly later.

Clare x

Uwe I’m not into buying things online, I’ve never done that before.
k020.gif
Timothy Hay is supposed to be the best right though?
a050.gif

Biscuit looks lovely.
a078.gif
I was thinking of getting a browny lop myself as I didn’t want one that looked like Henry or Bunny. I think Biscuit has more space than my pen at home.
f010.gif
I couldn’t have my pen made an inch bigger though as the wood wouldn’t fit up the stairs, the living room door had to be taken off and paintwork scuffed to get in up.
c050.gif
I wasn’t sure how hygenic and well behaved Henry would be so that’s why I built a pen inside his room. I love the painted wood paneling in his room and I didn’t want him getting his teeth around it.
c045.gif
Also I didn’t know if he’d pee in the corners and it’d get minging.
e022.gif
Does Biscuit not get burnt by your radiator?
a035.gif
Luckily there isn’t one where Henry’s pen is, it’s on the other wall but by putting the pen in it meant I couldn’t get to the only electrical socket in the room - another reason why I put up the wood pen walls, I didn’t want him frying himself one day.
c055.gif
I put polystyrene packaging down the side of Henry’s pen just incase he jumped the wall, I was worried he’d crack his head on the laminate floor, I thought about a lot of safety hazards, shame I wasn’t so wary of the cat litter.
e015.gif
I’ve taken out the polystyrene packaging now, when I get a new bunny it won’t try and jump the pen walls will it?
a015.gif
The pen walls are just above waist height on me, I’m 5 ft 4. I saw a bunny called Oliver at the rescue centre bounce right over breeze block walls at chest height with ease!
a095.gif
He wanted to bonk female bunnies and just leapt from pen to pen.
n045.gif
Henry wasn’t much of a jumper, he’d do about a foot, I never saw him jump onto anything much higher. Are different breeds more jumpy?
c010.gif
Oliver had sticking up ears, lops look a bit fatter and less athletic don’t they?
k015.gif
When I get another bunny I’ll try doing what I did with Henry and try to keep all cardboard boxes and wood boxes away from the sides of the pen so it doesn’t use them as a helping hand over the sides, I bet it would hurt landing if it got it’s back legs caught over the top.
k025.gif

Does Biscuit not chew the fabric stuff?
c025.gif
Do you think it’s dangerous of me to put in a footstool with fabric top (conveniently at head chewing height
k050.gif
). Do you think stuffed toys are not a good idea?
a050.gif
The woman at the rescue centre seemed to give toys to bunnies not paired up as company for them so I presumed it was fine.

How long each day do you spend with Biscuit?
c028.gif
I spent 20 mins in a morning cleaning up Henry’s pen, feeding him and giving him a good bye stroking before I went to work each morning and then on a night I’d usually be with him 1 and a half hours, part of that time cleaning up again, the rest spent stroking him and maybe reading him a magazine or something depending on if he was being unsociable or not.
k015.gif
If he was in one of his running away moods then I’d read.
e006.gif
Weekends I’d have more time to kill.
g040.gif

What’s an ice pod?
p070.gif
I must admit his room did get humid in the hot spell we had a few weeks ago, mind you it was hot everywhere.
a050.gif
& I deliberately avoided taking him out to my mum’s to his old outdoor pen at that time because I thought he’d get heatsroke in the sun what with him not being used to sun for so long. I don’t have a fan I could use but if I got another bunny I’d consider taking it downstairs on a night which would be a bit cooler. If you look on my first pen picture there’s a white box behind the pink one, that’s a £30 indoor rabbit box which I got for Henry with the intention that I could move him around the house and he could spend more time with me but he absolutely hated it.
c055.gif
I tried several times to get him used to the living room whilst I watched TV, I had the sound down and tried stroking him in it but he was scared stiff, I think it may have been the flashing light of the TV that scared him I’m not sure.
hmn.gif
Are bunnies usually scared of TVs?
a040.gif
Anyway, if Henry had of enjoyed trips downstairs I’d have had him down with me on a night for a bit which would have helped a bit with the heat on extremely humid days.

Why are magazines not good for bunnies?
p020.gif
That could be a problem if I have to do away with them. Those photos were taken when he first moved to my house, over the months I put down more and more magazines because of his mucky bottom problem, it was a lot easier to just bin the top layers of magazines daily than to scrub the floor or ruin perfectly nice pieces of large cardboard. It would be fabulous to get a bunny who doesn’t leave a mess wherever he sits but I was just going to carry on the Heat magazine tradition and cover the floor again with mags. I also thought it would be fun for chewing without injury.
a050.gif
I did try with newspaper once but it made Henry’s paws all black and he’d lick them, I thought the ink may not be good for him so stopped.
a050.gif
Henry never swallowed any paper BTW, he just enjoyed ripping things I’d just neatly laid down.
g035.gif

Back