• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Esme unwell - admitted to vets and staying night ... She's home!!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
She was behaving like she had bloat but wasn't really distressed just obviously uncomfortable and unhappy. She felt okay (not bloated) to me though. Anyhow I monitored her and attempted to give her Gripewater which she refused :cry: She was definitely in pain of some sort but behaving like she had bloat and refusing all food.

I took her to the vets first thing (luckily they have open appointments from 9.00 so you can always get in quickly). She saw the 'cat and dog vet' who said she didn't appear bloated to her, but admitted her for nursing/ observations/x-ray, whatever becomes necessary, I *think* she's likely to see a rabbit vet during the day, and definitely to be cared for by rabbit experienced nurses so I know she's in good hands.

Poor Essie, just like when Art is poorly she was bright and lively one hour earlier - what the 'ell am I doing wrong???? They are on far better diets than my bunnies of the previous years, they are producing mounds of big poos, they are bright and enthusiastic ... she hadn't eaten anything in particular in the couple of hours before being poorly, only hay :? I need to stop talking about bonding Art and Essie as everytime I mention it, or even think it, one of them's poorly :cry::cry:

I only have 4 bunnies and constantly seem to be dealing with emergencies, I don't know how you many-bunny-households cope, I really don't.

I've to ring at 4.00 to find out how she's doing. I shall of course update.

Last edited:
Everything crossed for Esme over here. Please let us know your news.

Thanks.

She's nibbling on grass and dandelions. They want to keep her in for further observations, possibly to syringe feed of she isn't doing enough on her own. At least she must be feeling a little better after her shot of metacam. No xrays as yet which other vets there do early on, but at least I know she'll get fed - if she was at home it could be a struggle.

I've to ring tomorrow at 10.30am to find out how she's progressing.

That's looking hopeful.
For what it's worth, my bun has very sensitive teeth, & always has a couple of doses of metacam after a dental.

I hope she's ok hun, I will keep my fingers crossed for her. Sending lots of get well soon vibes.

Poor Esme - she must have heard you asking about bonding and thought she'd throw a spanner in the works. I hope she feels better soon and I'm sure you're not doing anything wrong. x

Thanks everybody, it's raised my spirits a little seeing the new messages.

The cheeky little girl would be bouncing about noisily and racing around normally at this time... it's very quiet without her here :cry::cry:

I hope she's back to her normal enthusiasm soon it was awful seeing her so quiet :cry::cry:

Esme is bright in herself today (and banging her feet) she isn't eating enough yet thought and needs to be syringe fed and monitored for a while longer. She is however pooping, so everything is moving again!

She's staying in another night and I have to ring tomorrow to find out how she is.

Oh Esme! come on & eat! everyone's missing you back home.
Really hope she starts tucking in tonight.
Fingers crossed Judy & Thumper.

Awww, you must be missing Esme terribly. Keeping everything crossed that she continues to improve and is home tomorrow as planned. x

Thanks again everyone.

I was expecting to be collecting her after work today (two hour round trip) and still exhausted after spending the night monitoring her two nights ago! Luckily I'm working from home tomorrow so hopefully... I shall be saving a few nose rubs just in case :love::love::love:

Back