• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats the best food and where

cloughie

Banned
Hi

My rabbit, Pebbles, is 3 months old now and I am now going to start introducing vef, fruit, branches and herbs into her diet.

I have read numerous sites about what is good etc etc... but I would like to hear from fellow bunny owners what do you feed your rabbits, how much of each thing and where do you get your stuff from?

I would like to get Pebbles eating proper 'greens' but what should I go for?

Where would I get herbs and things like dandelion leaves from? :?

Thanks

x

The most important part of their diet is hay so see what you can get at your local shop and try different ones until you find one they love. They should also be given a small amount of pellets each day like Science Selective that will give them some fibre and vitamins and keep them healthy. Most people also feed a small amount of vegetables like Spring Greens, small amounts of Carrot, Apple and Broccoli. Remember all changes should be made very slowly so they don't get an upset tummy.

As the poster above has said...Hay should be available at all times, else you'll end up with a very poorly bun; I feed Burgess Excel Junior and Dwarf pellets to mine (Can anyone tell me the difference between them and the adult ones? :? ) I allow a half handful of pellets to each bowl with 2 buns sharing, in the evenings I mix in their greens, celery, romaine lettuce, spinach, basil, carrot tops, Parsley, fresh grass, Dock leaves - only when they're not flowering, or dandelions (If my neighbour lets me in her garden :lol: ) Just whatever I put my hands on - Just make sure you only feed a tiny bit of each food at a time, and then try something else; changes too fast can imbalance the acid in the GI system, which isn't good.
Think the first time you ever tried Indian food, for example; where did you spend all night promising yourself never to eat it again? ;)
My morning feed consists of pellets, again, with a sprinkle of Readigrass on top, not too much though, it's very high in protein (I think :? )
And then when I get home from work, I give them a treat, which is usually a small slice of apple or melon, or a strawberry each...It gives me bonding time with everybun, and makes them like me better than the OH :oops:

Back