• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training !!!

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Daisy & Ben are driving me nuts !!

I've moved my living room round so they have full run (they insisted on living behind the sofa in a 6x4 area before as they didn't like the laminate) so now they have a huge rug to run around on in the centre of the room - BUT - they keep peeing and pooing on it !!!

I've manage to successfully litter train buns before but these guys are ignoring me - HELP!!!

I pick up the poo and show it to them and then throw it in the tray this has always worked before, but just now Daisy just sat and did a wee in front of me :? I shooed her into the tray and she knew exactly what she had done...

Any advice???

I have the same problem and everyone here told me to place a litter tray in the spot the buns were using to toilet. After a while, you gradually move it to a more discreet spot. Now, this did not work for me as my buns wee on my sofas! BOTH of them! ALL OVER THEM! I did place a tray on the sofa, but they would just move further down or over to the other one to do their business! They do not discriminate and do not have a fave place to go-any spot on the furniture will do lovely for them!

I hope the suggested method works for you!
Please let us know how it goes.

Just a couple of thoughts.
1st. bunnies don't like a smooth surface eg laminate as you've discovered. They can't get a firm grip with their furry feet - tend to slip. The tray needs to be where they don't have to hop over the laminate.
2nd. They use wee etc. (not only spraying) to claim their "territory"= I live here, trespassers will... Their sense of smell is amazing. It may be a case of cleaning the rug with plain water. (any cleaning fluid could make them worse!)

Now, this did not work for me as my buns wee on my sofas! BOTH of them! ALL OVER THEM! I did place a tray on the sofa, but they would just move further down or over to the other one to do their business!

I hope you've solved the problem one way or another. A possible reason is that your bunnies could smell human ...... & were trying to out scent it.
If you think that far fetched - I just stroked a dog while out walking, forgot to wash my hands before greeting Thumper. He shot off upstairs into his bolt hole shaking when I was 2 yards away. He could smell dog on me!:shock:

was the rug the same one that daisy & gabe were on? if so could be that his scent is still on it & throwing them off. Cheepy new rug time especially one that has a very different texture? mind you I'm not one to advise that well. wee yes, poop nope.

:)

Mine does the same thing we litter strained him a while barck ,since i have lamitaded floor too , i place down my sleepin bag which has already had his sent on since he slept in it with me a week barck but now he poos on it i kinda got the same probelm

I hope you've solved the problem one way or another. A possible reason is that your bunnies could smell human ...... & were trying to out scent it.
If you think that far fetched - I just stroked a dog while out walking, forgot to wash my hands before greeting Thumper. He shot off upstairs into his bolt hole shaking when I was 2 yards away. He could smell dog on me!:shock:

Nope-problem remains unsolved. If I am not sitting in the LR, the sofas are loaded up with laundry baskets and pillows and blocked by the coffee table to keep them from jumping up. What a pain!

ha! this reminded me of the day i queued at the atm, and noticed the old bloke in front of me had a young dog, which was staring at me and looking terrified! when it shrank down and started backing away, the owner noticed and looked round... as i'd done nothing to intimidate little doggy, not even a hard stare, i could only assume that to doggy i smelt strongly of rabbit but was not like anybun he'd ever seen before....

i hope i only smelt of rabbit to the dog...people don't usually back off....

Nope-problem remains unsolved. If I am not sitting in the LR, the sofas are loaded up with laundry baskets and pillows and blocked by the coffee table to keep them from jumping up. What a pain!

Bloomin' bunnies! Guess that's all that's left to you unless someone else has more ideas. I'm sorry I'm no help.

ha! this reminded me of the day i queued at the atm, and noticed the old bloke in front of me had a young dog, which was staring at me and looking terrified! when it shrank down and started backing away, the owner noticed and looked round... as i'd done nothing to intimidate little doggy, not even a hard stare, i could only assume that to doggy i smelt strongly of rabbit but was not like anybun he'd ever seen before....

i hope i only smelt of rabbit to the dog...people don't usually back off....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bet you put doggy off rabbit flavour for the rest of his life :shock:

Back