• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucus Covered Poos

Dan_K

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Over the past 3 days I noticed that neither of my buns Bob and Mavis seemed to be eating too much. Normally as soon as their food gets put down they're at it like they've not eaten in a week. Mavis then tends to pick at it for a little while while Bob just eats, and eats, and eats.

At first I thought it could have been the heat as it's been sunny and humid over the weekend, however I noticed today when I put the dinner down that Mavis went over to eat as normal but Bob didn't, which is most unlike him. I've since noticed some mucus covered poos near to where Bob was sitting. I did put in some "Ginko Plus" grassy stuff which it looks like he's eaten because the mucus covered poos are near to it.

I was wondering if this could be serious? A couple of summers ago he had a similar reaction to eating some of a plant while out in the garden (they're house buns but go out when possible into a run), and when I first got him he suffered from bloat early on, so I'm always mindful of his stomach. My thoughts were that because he seems to be pooing, even though it's got some mucus around it it's not too serious because at least it shows his digestive system is working, and I should be more worried if he wasn't eating anything at all and not pooing because it would suggest his digestive system was slowing down or stopping. It seems to me it may have just been a bit of a bad reaction to something perhaps he ate while in their run?

Would anyone be able to give me any advice from their experience?

Ooh forgot to say that normally they would have some veg in the morning and pellets in the evening, with a constant supply of hay and water. Other than being in their run over the weekend I can't see how they could have eaten anything different to normal.

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

Last edited:
Hi There

Sorry to hear your buns are not well. There are a number of reasons for mucus in the poo, any of which require veterinary attention.

If the poos are small and grit like with mucus then this is a sign that his digestive tract is slowing down, large amounts of mucus are symptomatic of diseases such as ME - which will need prompt medical attention too.

I would get your buns to the vet asap if I were you.

Good luck and I really hope it is nothing too serious - but best to find out for sure x

Last edited:
I agree that passing mucus is a warning sign of a potential problem in the GI tract and prompt Veterinary attention should be obtained.
Passing mucus is often a sign of inflammation in the GI tract and this can result in life threatening illness.

Plesae consult your Vet today

Good luck

Back