• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house bunny chewing question!

mudchild

Warren Scout
Hello,
Just wondered if anyone has any advice. I have recently lost one of my house bunnies, so am thinking of getting him a new ladybun as i think he needs some bunny grooming.
Thing is he has no front teeth and I think finding another one with no fronts will be difficult.
Thing is because of the fact that he has no teeth he is completly free range so I dont have to worry about chewing. Will all bunnies chew? Also would it be fair to pair him up with a girl who has got teeth? (Thinking biting here!)
Any advice/experience ??
Thanks!! x

Hello,
Just wondered if anyone has any advice. I have recently lost one of my house bunnies, so am thinking of getting him a new ladybun as i think he needs some bunny grooming.
Thing is he has no front teeth and I think finding another one with no fronts will be difficult.
Thing is because of the fact that he has no teeth he is completly free range so I dont have to worry about chewing. Will all bunnies chew? Also would it be fair to pair him up with a girl who has got teeth? (Thinking biting here!)
Any advice/experience ??
Thanks!! x

Hi, so sorry for your recent loss:( Yes i'm sure your other house bun would like a new ladybun, that's a very kind thing to do for him especially at a time of grief for you. There is no rule that a gummy bunny needs to be bonded with another gummy bunny at all.... a lady wife with all her lovely teeth will be just fine - in fact she will be able to assist him grooming. No not all bunnies chew at all.....it is a 'natural' instinct - you have to be prepared for that, wild buns will nibble trees and bark and roots around them, but not all domestic buns will chew - as long as you keep their minds busy and occupied!
We have two house buns and they never touch any of our furniture or furnishings ever....our house is immaculate....but my buns eat only hay and veg, no pellets at all, and therefore they are kept very busy all day just trying to keep their tummies full! :D I'm not suggesting you do this at all, just saying that a bun with lots of hay to eat and plenty of natural toys can be dissuaded from chewing your home. However, it is always essential to bunny proof any home that a house bun lives in for safety reasons. This means lifting electric wires off the floor and/or incasing them in cable wrap, blocking off dangerous gaps down the side of appliances, lifting house plants well out of reach and keeping cleaning fluids etc off the floor and loo lids down in case a bun jumps in etc.

:wave:

p.s. bunnies nip as a form of communication - she may well nip him - but his gummy lips will be able to give her a nip back....he can also do many other things 'subtle bunny communication' in order to keep her in line - he does not need his teeth. :D

Hi.
Oh brill thanks for the reply. Its good to know its possible. I dont want him to be on his own as i know how much he loved cuddling up with Dolly.
Thats a really good point about the hay as that would certainly keep them busy and out of mischief and I def want to keep him free range. He has hardly any pellets anymore as I lost my dolly under anesthetic for a tooth op (she was a dental bun when I rescued her). x

My kermit only chewed things when he was a baby bunny, when he got older he never bothered as long as i gave him plenty of toys to chew on.

I have two free range house rabbits and neither of them are 'chewy' particularly :D Wires etc are an issue but furniture doesnt seem to be. They live in the dining room and my table and chairs are completely intact, which I'm quite impressed by. Muppet is drawn to fabrics though - he did shred the cushion covers - but he's less bothered if they arent wrinkly.

If you get an older rabbit, from a rescue (or wherever), they should at least be able to give you a clue about how 'chewy' or not the rabbit is. No guarantees but it's a start!

Back