• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are some rabbits destined to be ill????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Claude was ill from 9 months and was pts at 5 years old Vinnie has been on and off for a few months Stasis and breathing problems,are some rabbits just ment to be ill no matter what u do?

I think sadly genetic predisposition and early nutritional deficit plays a big part in rabbit immunity and general health and susceptibility to illness. I would have thought that a lot of petshop bunnies weaned from mum too early lack appropriate immunity and on top of this are often bred without thought for genetic abnormalities. I'm sorry your buns are ill :( Both my rescue buns have various ailments and predispositions also - I believe plenty of exercise, low stress and a good diet are key to keeping them at bay. Sadly in some rabbits even this is not enough. :(

Claude was from a breeder a blue rex the most beutifull rabbit you ever saw,I saw him at 4 weeks and collected him at 8 weeks,He was a picture of health untill 9 months when he got stasis on and off for years, which evently turned out was the nerves to his gut stopping working and he had to be pts:(

I think my boy kermit was just an ill wee boy.....shame.
But i do think that he wouldnt even have been here for the just under 2 years if he had other parents, i think alot of folk would have given up on my lad.

Well as I have always said my personal belief is that Rexes are less hardy than other Buns.

Neil said last week when i was upset about Vinnie your never having another rex they get too many problems,Guess ive been lucky with Shadow (touch wood)

Personally I think it is also down to genetics. As far as rexes go, I wouldn't have one as beautiful as I think they are.

My lionhead teddy has always been an unhealthy rabbit. He was taken from a 'breeder' who kept his rabbits on allotments and they were fed on scraps. I don't think he was given water as all of the rabbits taken from that place would not drink from a bowl nor bottle. I'm not sure exactly how old he was when he went into the rescue, possible a year. He had a tapeworm abscess, developed an inguinal hernia, suffers from bladder sludge, cysts in his dewlap and neck, dental problems and now has his respiratory infection which I still believe is a result of his dental issues. He has just had one thing after another. :(

Molly was destined to be ill from the moment she was born. When we got her, I knew instantly we'd have problems with her health as she always looked very tiny and not in the best condition. She came from a rescue, which is one of the reasons I'll never get a rescue animal again.

Molly was destined to be ill from the moment she was born. When we got her, I knew instantly we'd have problems with her health as she always looked very tiny and not in the best condition. She came from a rescue, which is one of the reasons I'll never get a rescue animal again.

Why wont u get a rescue?

This is a rather silly thing to say. In my opinion its incredibly selfish to say you would rather buy a bunny because it will be in better health/live longer than a rescue bunny.

I dont care how long my bunnies live or how poorly they get, they are better off with me than in rescue and all im interested in is providing them with love and care untill it is their time, whether I get years with them or months.

This is a rather silly thing to say. In my opinion its incredibly selfish to say you would rather buy a bunny because it will be in better health/live longer than a rescue bunny.

I dont care how long my bunnies live or how poorly they get, they are better off with me than in rescue and all im interested in is providing them with love and care untill it is their time, whether I get years with them or months.

Because with a rescue, you do not know their genetic background. Molly has problems because of genetics and some stupid people breeding bad quality rabbits together. With a breeder, at least you know the lines and the quality of the parents, and if they have problems. Really, I don't care what you all say and know you'll all say rescue, but I made my mind up about this issue ages ago so you aren't about to change my mind now.

i dont do technical terms...but yup i think some bunnies are born ill.. will remain ill and will die ill anything inbetween is a bonus :D:D... guess its all that inbreeding and human meddling catches up with them in the end..

i have no idea about Alvin's parents/grandparents but ill bet somewhere along his line brothers and sisters got it on and here is a stasis bunny at the end :(

at least with him being neutured it wont pass on to a next generation

ALL animals can get ill. Even from good breeders. Deciding that you no longer want rescues because one of your bunnys isnt "in best condition" is harsh. Rabbits are a small animal and as far as I've ever seen, most small animals get ill at some point.

Infact, the health of the animals would make me want a rescue MORE. You know if they have reoccuring health problems already, and you're more prepared. Not to mention that the rescues go through the worry of getting them all spayed/castrated :?

She came from a rescue, which is one of the reasons I'll never get a rescue animal again.

I'm trying not to get involved but I feel like I'm going to burst.

Because it is the rescues fault that your Molly isn't a well bun. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'd rather line pockets of a breeder just so you can see the rabbits history. It does not gurantee a well bun that will live a illness free life.

I don't like your funny ideas.

Because with a rescue, you do not know their genetic background. Molly has problems because of genetics and some stupid people breeding bad quality rabbits together. With a breeder, at least you know the lines and the quality of the parents, and if they have problems. Really, I don't care what you all say and know you'll all say rescue, but I made my mind up about this issue ages ago so you aren't about to change my mind now.

Where do you think Molly came from? a breeder:? Did you not read what i wrote earliar on in this thread????

Claude was from a breeder a blue rex the most beutifull rabbit you ever saw,I saw him at 4 weeks and collected him at 8 weeks,He was a picture of health untill 9 months when he got stasis on and off for years, which evently turned out was the nerves to his gut stopping working and he had to be pts

Hence me never buying from a breeder again

He also had really bad sore hocks i saw both parents he was from show parents it means nothing im afraid!!!!

Whilst I would always have a rescue I appreciate that some people buy bunnies. However it makes me sad to think about all those bunnies in rescue who do have health problems that will probably spend the rest of their lives there because people do not want them. Or the thousands of healthy bunnies in rescues that people dont want "just in case they get ill".

A clever breeder could easily change certain parts of a buns history, oh yes great grand dad lived until he was 10, and his Mum died quietly in her sleep. What you going to do, ask for PM reports from their vets?????

I'm trying not to get involved but I feel like I'm going to burst.

Because it is the rescues fault that your Molly isn't a well bun. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'd rather line pockets of a breeder just so you can see the rabbits history. It does not gurantee a well bun that will live a illness free life.

I don't like your funny ideas.

Ditto!!!

I completely agree with you & perhaps now is not the right time for me to comment on something like this. But to be quite frank to not even consider adopting from a rescue because you 'think' they will become ill or have other underlying issues is complete & utter nonsense LionheadLuver. Simply because you just don't know - there are some rescue buns that live to a ripe old age without health issues!

To be honest, I would rather rescue a bun & only have them a few months but give them everything they needed - than line the pockets of some greedy breeder for a bun I may or may not have several years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back