• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood test results, what do these mean?

Wooly

Young Bun
Hi,
It's Sai here again asking more questions... I posted a thread a few days ago about my rabbit having kidney disease.

I now have the lab results and shows:

ALKP - 46 (max 10)
ALT - 35 (max 10)
UREA - 24.8 (max 10)
CREA - 743 (max 10)
GLU - 6.82 (max 10)
TP - 58 (max 10)
Na - 155 (max 156)
K - 9.2 (max 7.5)
Cl - 115 (max 112)

With kidney disease in rabbits, apart from steroid injections (which he'll have another of in two weeks time) and try to make him drink more fluids, is there anything that I can do to make him more comfortable and hopefully keep him with us a bit longer?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about rabbits, but I have 2 cats with renal disease, as well as diet, once they are a bit further advanced they will go onto fortekor. It is used for heart disease in dogs, so I guess it does something like reduce the blood pressure. I have heard of fortekor being used in rabbits, but not sure if it is for heart disease or renal disease.

Sorry to hear about your bunny, I know how worrying it is, not knowing how long it will take to develop.

Thank you Halfpenny.

I'm afraid the vet has said they won't put him on medication as it's not the norm, but I'm having a second opinion about things tomorrow just in case. He seems a bit better though so hopefully he'll keep like this.

I would consider urine sample testing and blood tests repeated with calcium and phosphorus plus haematology included as those results on their own are not convincing as a case of renal failure unless there are changes in urine concentration and solutes and also changes in calcium +/- phosphorus. The normal values in brackets aren't correct so are making the results look more scary than they are!

Oh that's very interesting Marie. We went to a different vet this morning and she basically said they didn't know enough about bunnies and that we should see a bunny savvy vet. We have found one near-ish our area so I think we'll give them a go. Thanks for that though.

Back