• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits need their own 'base'

marleyandme

Mama Doe
Hi :wave:

I have two free range rabbits who are allowed to run about my flat all day, we don't have a cage for them and they have picked out certain areas in my flat where they snooze. At night or if we're out, we close the living room doors as I worry that they could injure themselves in there by jumping from things, but they still have free range of the bedroom and kitchen/diner.

We have 2 litter trays for them and various fleeces and carpet tiles for them dotted about for them to lie on. But, do you think it is important that they have their own base eg a NIC condo or dog crate? Most people on here seem to have set ups. Does this make rabbits feel more secure?

Sounds like you have two very happy bunnies.

Biscuit has her own room (no cage) during the day when we are at work and we shut her in there at bedtime too.

At other times she has free range of our bedroom, stairs, front room etc.

We have bunny proofed everywhere but it is still handy to be able to shut her in her room, if say we have noisey visitors etc. Also we know her room is totally safe but she can be silly in the front room and have a crafty dig of the carpet so when she is running around house we do keep a beady eye on her.

I think a "base" is wherever your bunnies are happy. Deej has a cage, but only because it is where he has his hay and litter trays (cause he's a messy little tyke).

His other base in the lounge is his "fort" I made him from a huge cardboard box which he loves to sleep/spend a lot of his time in.

He also has a small pop up tent where he often sits (and also has his dinner) though he also often likes to sit under the sofa.

Rimmi has a cage where he sleeps at night just because I worry about him getting to any cables while we're in bed but in the lving room he now has a small canvas run where I put his litter box, hiding box, some toys, his water, food and hay..... he really seems to enjoy this and runs there (if not on me) when worried or just to 'hang out' away from us peoples..... I dont mess with him when he is in his run... everyone needs there own space lol.

As long as your buns have somewhere to chill away from their peoples then I'm sure they'll be fine. Rimmi had a box to hide in to begin with, he loved it (he still has it...... its a magners box, its wasnt his to begin with, he just kept hiding in it so we made it his lol)

Hope that helps :)

Base means 'private space' whether you enclose that with wire, mesh, a separate room or just an invisible line in the room that you don't cross when they are in it it is the same thing....if they do have total free run then you just need to watch your boundaries with their space when they are in it so that they feel secure in this area. Being prey animals all rabbits need something to bolt in to that they can sit near or in should they feel under threat. Studies have shown that given the option a rabbit will do a lot of work pushing through a cat flap to be in a space with a bolt hole or ledge rather than a space without. This indicates that while they may not use it, they feel more secure being near one. As long as you have bunny proofed securely and as you say can shut a door whilst you are out or visitors are over....then just make sure that in their space they have something high to sit on or under and/or perhaps a cardboard box with some holes in or a tunnel or two to satisfy their need for feeling secure in their environment. :D

My guys only have a base because its a rented house so we dont want them to damage too much. If it were my house then they would free range all the time and I would just have to replace the skirting boards they ate!

Ours have a hutch in the dining room for night times and for if we are out for more than a few hours. Our whole house is bunny proof but there are a lot of stairs and a high drop from a landing with bannisters....they don't really go up there and would have to squeeze through...but accidents can happen so we feel safer with them secure at night and if we are out all day. We also rent! I'm also paranoid about burglars leaving the front door open and my buns getting out into the road....they are both microchipped just in case!!! I'm that paranoid! :lol:

Thanks guys! You have put my mind at rest.

I rent aswell, our flat is small so was easy to bunny proof. The flat came part furnished and most of the stuff is ours. They aren't chewers luckily and the only thing they have chewed can be easily replaced. We also have a really laid back landlord which has helped.

They have lots of places where they hide when scared or want to be left alone: under the bed, behind the chair, under the table etc. They also have a few tunnels, but I am going to get them a cardboard box to hide in aswell.

I am also going to have to be really strict and not disturb them when they are sleeping- they look so cute when they are flopped out I have been known to try to give them a few nose rubs only for my hand to be pushed out of the way! :oops:

Back