• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nobby tested positive : (

mimi75

Alpha Buck
hi there,i posted a thread on rabbit health the other week about my little nobby suddenly becoming slightly incontinent(no scalding& still very clean) & passing mucus.well frances xrayed him and took his bloods.the xray was clear,kidney&liver functioning as normal however he has tested positive for E.C(which to be honest i was expecting)anyway frances is on holiday till next week so i will take him in then for a chat& a check up.i am giving him a month on panacur and in every other way he is still the cheeky,little happy hobgobblin he normally is(except for his piddle probs & mucus)i was just wondering if any of you had any advice or anything.i know for sure one of my other bonded buns moo has E.C so can only assume her husbun bob has it.however aside from slight cateract moo has not had any other symptoms as yet(touch wood)& she is 6 years old.i do find the whole E.c a little daunting.nobby is only 2(ish,his exact history not really known bless him)i do worry about them.:(
any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated,thanks.:wave:

When Rolo had EC symptoms - she had the incontinence and finally the paralysed back legs - we gave her and her partner Panacur for 6 weeks and another course a few months later again (as we noticed the symptoms coming back again). And throughout I scrubbed the hutch, litter trays, bowls etc with a bleach solution at least once a week. Bleach, if I have read correctly, is the only thing that can kill the spores. I would soak the trays and bowls and dustpan and brush that i use to clean out the hutch in bleach and hot water for at least half hour in the bath (just squirted the bleach in the trays and run the hot tap to fill the trays and then just left them disinfecting in the bottom of the bath), while I waited for the hutch and other cleaning to dry outside.

This routine has really worked. As i mentioned above the symptoms came back once and we treated again with no problems. Since then, it hasn't come back. Occasionally i give a small course of Panacur as a preventative measure say 9 days or so. I still clean the hutch and trays with bleach once a week.

hiya.thanks for replying,i have been bleaching his litter tray in the bath every other day.i normally try to panacur as a rule about 4 times a year so i will keep that up.at the moment he is still very clean around his bottom which is good.i just hope the incontinence doesn't get any worse.

Back