• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pigs...what would you do?

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
We have 2 pairs of male piggies.

We cannot decide whether to house them in the garage (at opposite ends) in a NIC type accomodation (the garage is huge so each pair will have at least 6ft x 6ft of space) and let them out on the grass on nice days when we are there.

OR

House them outside in a hutch and run combo on paving slabs, shutting them in the hutch at night and the run will have a rain cover. If we choose this option, they will still be housed in the garage in winter.

What would you do? I'm leaning towards housing them in the garage permanently but the OH wants them to be outside in the 'fresh air'.

Either would be fine.

My personal choice is a hutch outside - namely because I alway postion my hutches so I can watch them out the window. If they are in the garrage you wouldn't be able to see them unless you physically go in there.

Our 4 pigs are in the garage and go outside all day in the garden :) Its nice having ours in the garage so when I go see them at 10pm theres a light I can just switch on :D haha the last house we had to use a flashlight :lol: The garage also stays a constant temperature which is handy in the summer as the garden is so hot and the garage is always nice and cool (not sure on the winter temps yet as just moved in) but hopefully will be fine as the garage is under the house so will have our house and next doors heating to try warm it up :D

Price wise the NIC is also cheaper than a hutch (ours only need one square high ;) ) inless you already have the hutches hehe.

Practibility wise the garage is handy as you can store food/hay bales/bedding etc close by without having to lug it around and cleaning NIC is easy and can be done whether rain or shine lol. Does have the downside is you have to pick them up and catch them again to get them in and out but I quite like this as it means there gettings handled alot more than ours might be otherwise :D

Both options sound fab and you've got some very lucky pigs! :D

Our 4 pigs are in the garage and go outside all day in the garden :) Its nice having ours in the garage so when I go see them at 10pm theres a light I can just switch on :D haha the last house we had to use a flashlight :lol: The garage also stays a constant temperature which is handy in the summer as the garden is so hot and the garage is always nice and cool (not sure on the winter temps yet as just moved in) but hopefully will be fine as the garage is under the house so will have our house and next doors heating to try warm it up :D

Price wise the NIC is also cheaper than a hutch (ours only need one square high ;) ) inless you already have the hutches hehe.

Practibility wise the garage is handy as you can store food/hay bales/bedding etc close by without having to lug it around and cleaning NIC is easy and can be done whether rain or shine lol. Does have the downside is you have to pick them up and catch them again to get them in and out but I quite like this as it means there gettings handled alot more than ours might be otherwise :D

Both options sound fab and you've got some very lucky pigs! :D

Cleaning out etc isn't a problem as we have rabbits outside too so often get wet! :lol:

We have the hutches and NIC cubes already so that's not an issue either.

I think the thing that is swaying me is the temperature. Our garage is nice and cool in the summer (don't know about winter either as just moved in too!)
The garage is away from the house, down the garden. x

As people have already said they both sound great. However, I personally always keep my piggies inside (but obviously let them out when I can) but I'm a worrier and treat them like children! I just love C&C cages (nic cages). Have you tried this website: http://www.guineapigcages.com/ It has some amazing set ups to get your creativity flowing! :D

Back