• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely Rabbit

rachglos

Warren Scout
Hello, I have been lurking on this site for some time and would appreciate some advice.
I have had a pair of bunnies (from a rescue center) for around 4 years, Leo and Lavender, due to chronic arthritis we had to have Leo put to sleep 3 weeks ago, it was incredly sad (broke my heart) but we know it was the best thing for him.
My problem is now Lavender, she seems very depressed and doesn’t want to spend time in the garden or on her own. She has a large hutch and run which she's in during the day and then when we get home we let her into the garden, then at night she sleeps in the house. The reason she sleeps in the house is she simply won't go outside, without picking her up (which really causes her stress) she's litter trained so we are happy for this and then we pick her up in the morning and put her in the run, she then sits and stares at me as if to say please don’t leave me. :(
When we open her run she goes straight from the run into the house and doesn’t really like being outside...

I guess the best thing for her would be to get her a mate but I'm not sure.. she's obviously in the later part of her life and am I going to stress her even more by introducing another bun? Can you suggest anything else?
Please give me some advice as she's seems really down and depressed.

On a recent check up at the vets he did say there was nothing medically wrong with her., as in no medical reason for her being so down. She can and does move very quickly when she needs to.
Thank you for your time
Rachel

you could get her another rescue bun around the same age, there are lots of rescues on here and if you were worried about the bonding, I am sure the rescue could do this for you as well.

Wow, thank you for such a quick reply.
I was just concerned that she was too set in her ways to introduce another bun. I think I would need help in bonding, its great to hear that I may be able to get help with doing this.

I'm in the Bristol area and have been looking around but we don't seem to have many bunny rescues around.. Google here I come.

Thanks again

Rachel

Bunny runs are often done by using this forum. I had 1 bunny go to scotland from someone on here ;) Good luck, let us know how you get on. :wave:

There is a rescue in Bristol
Think it's called Bristol Rabbit Rescue....!:lol:

How old is Lavender as four is not old?

We also rehome nationally so browse through all the buns on Rabbit Rehome:D

Which rescue did your bunnies come from?

Last edited:
Oh Im sure you could bond her with a nice neutered buck from a rescue, it can be stressful to start with but its worth it :)

I would also get her a new bunny companion asap - some buns need it. Good luck :D and i'm so sorry for your recent loss of Leo :cry:

A huge thank you to everyone for replying, I am so much more positive about Lav's future now.
I will try to answer all your questions, I originally got the pair from Cottontails but they are re-doing all their hutches etc at the mo so don't have any rabbits. I have tried Bristol Rabbit Rescue but they only seem to have babies and as advised I will not be looking for a baby, I don't think Lav could cope with this.. neither could I.

When I got her I was told that she was 2 1/2 and that was 4 years ago so she's about 6 1/2.

I have been looking through the site and there are some amazing buns on here, I will certainly be contacting a few people.

Thanks

Rachel

Just a quick update.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Since posting my message I have been looking around the local RSPCA's, cat and dogs homes, rescue centers etc at the moment nobody seems to have male (there actually seems to be very few males at all) that would be suitable. I am going on holiday next week so will start looking again. If when I start looking again there is nothing I will look further afield.

Thanks to all

We have a load of males here looking for a home.

Including Percy, a 3 year old Dutch x who has been looking for a home for 6 months now.

Definitely give it a go. I bonded a 6 1/2 year old with my already established pair and they get along fine. Good luck :wave:

Percy does look very cute.
How big is he? as Lavender is pretty big (a good full arms worth!) and I think she needs something the same size otherwise she will bully him. Is he house trained?

I would class him as a medium sized bun.
He is such a sweetie, and loves to run around, though he has been looking for a wifey bun to run and play with.

He is litter trained, yes :)

Percy does look very cute.
How big is he? as Lavender is pretty big (a good full arms worth!) and I think she needs something the same size otherwise she will bully him. Is he house trained?

:wave: I don't think buns are worried about size (or age) :lol:. Last year my Zola (dwarf bun of 6 months) was wonderfully bonded with Buttercup (a largish lady of 5 years) - they are a very happy couple :love:

Wow, thank you for such a quick reply.
I was just concerned that she was too set in her ways to introduce another bun. I think I would need help in bonding, its great to hear that I may be able to get help with doing this.

I'm in the Bristol area and have been looking around but we don't seem to have many bunny rescues around.. Google here I come.

Thanks again

Rachel

You could try the RSPCA at Brent Knoll, just outside Weston super Mare. We have just got a rabbit from there and they did have some older rabbits. Can't promise they will have one to suit though. They have open days every two weeks on a Saturday.

Back