• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blackberries

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I have a garden full of wild blackberries at the minute but no idea what to do with them all! I feed the leaves to the bunnies but the more I seem to cut off the more it grows and I have half the garden covered in them now.

Can bunnies eat the actual blackberries? Im guessing if they can then they can only have a few as they must be quite high in sugar.

Does anyone have an receipes for bunnies (or humans I guess) that I can use them for?

How about Blackberry & Apple Crumble? Mmmmmm my mouth is watering already!

I agree - Blackberry and Apple crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream
:p:p:p
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Or you could make Blackberry Jam?????

You could also freeze some for the winter and make pies for friends?

I agree - Blackberry and Apple crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream
:p:p:p
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Or you could make Blackberry Jam?????

You could also freeze some for the winter and make pies for friends?

My friends would think it was hilarious if I made pies for them! I very rarely cook anything! They would never believe I had made them.

My friends would think it was hilarious if I made pies for them! I very rarely cook anything! They would never believe I had made them.

It's easy - you cheat (I do)
Buy the ready made pastry, roll it out, fill it with the cooked apples and Blackberries. Glaze the pastry and cook. Voila!!!! One delicious Pie!

GO on Surpise them!!!

It's easy - you cheat (I do)
Buy the ready made pastry, roll it out, fill it with the cooked apples and Blackberries. Glaze the pastry and cook. Voila!!!! One delicious Pie!

GO on Surpise them!!!

Oooo that does sound easy! lol I might make one for my Gran!

Ive done it!

I made 2 apple and blackberry crumbles and they actually look quite good!

I have even made some meringes for me to have with my blackberries and ice cream for tea since I dont like crumble!

I am so impressed with myself!

Oooh! I'm looking out for blackberries as I plan to make Blackberry Liqueur - very simple - Vodka, Blackberries and Sugar. Last years Raspberry Gin went down well.

I made Blackberry Jelly (seedfree Jam) last year - bit messy but nice.

How about getting some raspberries to go with them and making a summer pudding yum, yum.

Blackberry Mess - a variation on Eton Mess, lightly crushed blackberries (with a little sugar if necessary), softly whipped cream and broken meringues, folded together just before serving.

If you don't like pastry you can have stewed blackberries (with apples if you like) with sponge, ice cream, vanilla yoghurt, cereal...

Tam

Oooh! I'm looking out for blackberries as I plan to make Blackberry Liqueur - very simple - Vodka, Blackberries and Sugar. Last years Raspberry Gin went down well.

How about getting some raspberries to go with them and making a summer pudding yum, yum.

Blackberry Mess - a variation on Eton Mess, lightly crushed blackberries (with a little sugar if necessary), softly whipped cream and broken meringues, folded together just before serving.

This is what im doing for my pudding tonight! I am using some ice cream and marshmellow fluff instead of whipped cream though as i dont like cream.

I like the sound of the liqueur *goes off to buy vodka and sugar* :D

This is what im doing for my pudding tonight! I am using some ice cream and marshmellow fluff instead of whipped cream though as i dont like cream.

Sounds just as nice!

I love "soft fruit" as my mum calls summer berries etc. I have a summer pudding in the fridge right now - made it to take to a bbq yesterday and "sadly" it didn't go down so well in competition with a crumble and custare - still never mind it will find love in my arms - or is that my spoon! Sadly I left the cream behind at the bbq but I have a tub of Waitrose Clotted Cream Ice Cream in the freezer ...mmmmm!

You could use some nice yogurt if you like that, or put some cooked berries on your breakfast porrige.

I like the sound of the liqueur *goes off to buy vodka and sugar* :D

Blackberry Liqueur

Makes about 1 Litre
1Kg blackberries
juice of 1 lemon
about 1kg caster sugar
1/2 litre vodka

Pick over the blackberries and put them in a pan with the lemon juice and just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins, until berries are squishy. Mush throughly through a non-metalic sieve or drip through a clean cloth in to a bowl.

Discard the solids, measure the juice back in to the pan and stir in the same volume of sugar. Bring gently to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar crystals, reduce the heat and cook for another 5 mins. Leave to cool. Stir in the vodka and poour in to sterilised bottles. Store in the fridge. Ready when you are.

Blackberry Liqueur

Makes about 1 Litre
1Kg blackberries
juice of 1 lemon
about 1kg caster sugar
1/2 litre vodka

Pick over the blackberries and put them in a pan with the lemon juice and just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins, until berries are squishy. Mush throughly through a non-metalic sieve or drip through a clean cloth in to a bowl.

Discard the solids, measure the juice back in to the pan and stir in the same volume of sugar. Bring gently to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar crystals, reduce the heat and cook for another 5 mins. Leave to cool. Stir in the vodka and poour in to sterilised bottles. Store in the fridge. Ready when you are.

Cheers :D *goes off to buy a lemon*

Ive done it!

I made 2 apple and blackberry crumbles and they actually look quite good!

I have even made some meringes for me to have with my blackberries and ice cream for tea since I dont like crumble!

I am so impressed with myself!

Hey! Well done you. I'm impressed!!! And meringues too! You have been busy!

That's what I do if I can find enough. Definitely the best use of them. Makes a fabulous fruity clear red, like a new world pinot noir :D:D

freeze them till you have enough,we did a 5 gallon batch 3 years ago,just with blackberies mmmmmmmm

Back