• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Girl or boy?

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
Which do you have and which would you say would be the best for a first time house rabbit?

Should I be put off by getting a girl instead of a boy? Not looking to getting more than one as yet.

All my research has been done on males,so I would like to know any opinions on females. I was put off as they are territorial and dont bond to female owners as well as males. Is this true?

Help :(

Hi
I can only speak from my own experiences with my rabbits.

I have found both male and female rabbits can be very territorial. Obviously neutering is a great help for both sexes.

If you have a baby rabbit you have to get through their 'teenage bit'.
Then you have to wait til they are old enough to get them neutered.

I learnt the hard way a long time ago..... Now I have older rescue rabbits.

At the moment i have... 4 males and 4 females. My males are more calm, friendly and relaxed than the girls.

Hope that is some help.

I thought my bun was a boy (since changed her name to Aurora Faline Izumi) because the previous owner and I mis-sexed her at 9 weeks.

She's only hitting 12 weeks so the hormones haven't exactly kicked in yet but she's so affectionate. I couldn't have wished for a better first bunny.

She's curious and does chew at furniture (which my mother hates). The first time she went into my living room, she pooed and did pee once, but since then she's been clean, and only ever litters in her cage.

Like most rabbits, she doesn't like to be picked up much, but will settle and loves to be petted and licks me all the time :love:

She's also a quick learner :)

I have a boy - he's lovely. When he lived with his partner before she passed away, she was lovely too.
My boy has always been a bit calmer though, and happier to just lay down rather than race about like a loon

I was put off as they are territorial and dont bond to female owners as well as males. Is this true?

I have never heard that female rabbits don't bond to female owners well. I have also never found that to be a problem. I have a male and female, and I would say that my female Josie is the more affectionate of the two.She absolutely loves anyone who is willing to play with her or give her cuddles and nose rubs. She was very affectionate as a young bun and just before she was spayed she went through a more hormonal stage, but she wasn't aggressive, just a bit of a control freak :lol: and once spayed (or about a month after) she was back to loving bun Josie.

I honestly don't think there is any difference between males and females as long as you have them neutered. I find there are bigger differences in temperament between breeds.

I have read that owners bond better with an animal of the opposite sex. This has been true in my case most of the time. I would say my spayed girlies are messier too than my neutered boys. That said my most aggresive (neutered) bun is male - all the females were fixed by spaying:D

i have a good bond with both my girls they always come over to me before they would my husband. i've had them since they where nine weeks old and yes the have been crazy bunnies up till now, getting over the teenager bit is really hard. My girls are reasonably territoral, but when cleaning them out i just pop them into the carrier that way they get less stressed about you cleaning their area. my boy is the sweetest thing too. i really don't personnally find a difference between them, they do have different tendancies but for bonding with you i'm very close to my girlies.

If you decide to go ahead and adopt a housebunny..take a look at Sailor in the in need section..he's a darling..although would like a doe to snuggle with!:love:

id say every rabbit is an individual with their own character, a rescue rabbit would be good though as youd be giveng it a forever loving home :)

get a neutered male/female pair (both neutered) fro ma rescue that is te best and make surre the house is bunny proofed adn the rabbits enjoy being house bunnys its more about personality seak to local rescues they will help you in finding the right pair x

Back