• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I must be really lucky with bonding

dayle_x

Mama Doe
I have 1 group of five, used to be a group of seven but i lost 2 buns. They bonded easily with no problems never any aggression, 2 bucks and 3 does.
Then i had a buck and doe pair, and my young doe & doe pair kept escaping and getting in with my buck and doe, so now they are practically bonded into a four by themselves! (which was my intentions anyway). All i have to do now is neuter boo and add him to my group of four.
I've noticed a lot of you struggle with bunny bonds. I must have a talent :lol:

Well the first bonding I just put them in a small run together for a few hours with a pile of hay. That night i put them back in the garage together and i've never looked back.
The group of 4 was an accident, they found each other and haven't been happier. Its soo cute my giant Phoenix and baby lionlop Tallulah laid next to each other, she is no bigger than his head but the bond between them already is very strong! she snuggles right into his belly.

You have been lucky with your rabbits. Some will go into groups easily, others won't. Sometimes once a group is established you can add a difficult rabbit to it that you couldn't have had in it in the beggining.

I have a couple of groups that are really easy to add to and other rabbits that won't accept anything larger than a pair. One is a group of nine that I am going to add to again once their new bigger shed and enclosure are ready. They are all small rabbits, I plan to add a pair of mini lops and a lionhead and perhaps another small lop once he is neutered. Lots of these have teeth problems and need grated veg, we'll be up to three huge dishes once there are twelve of them, but they already have it separately so I may as well put them all together. The other easy to add to group is the hairy mob, the cashmeres and the really hairy lionheads. There were seven of them, but sadly two died. As they are larger rabbits I think I'll leave it at five due to space issues. The grass is still alive and I want to keep it that way.

We have another group of five but that was a self bonding. Bella jumped the partition and moved in with the lads, so I removed the partition and so her daughter River is in with them too. They fight if they have more than one level so I won't be adding to that group.

I need to combine a few pairs, so will be experimenting to see what works and what doesn't once I have my bonding stables back. They have boarders in them at present. We have ten groups of rabbits boarding at the moment:shock: And ten groups of GPs:? at least it pays the feed bills....

This is very interesting as I've heard conflicting views on adding bunnies to an already established bonded pair. I'm considering adding another one to make one pair and a threesome but I'm frightened that it will wreck the bond that the pair already have. I don't have room to add any more bunny accommodation in the garden so if the bond failed, that would be it. Any advice happily accepted, especially since I have my beady eye on a little chap on RU;)

I would go for it if i was you. I find my bunnies are much happier in groups rather than in pairs :)

Back