• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behaviour Problems?

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Okay i hope this doesnt sound daft! :oops:

But today i posted about this:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192134

and weirdly the same thing has happened. lots of blood in the run, and a snapped claw. it bled for ages, and it looked like he had bitten it. Me and dad searched in the run and found nothing he could have caught himself on. so now, were pretty sure hes done it himself, once we looked at it closely, it does seem likely.

has anyone got any experience with behaviour problems like this in rabbits and any reason why this would happen.

im getting quite concerned

I am affraid to say that I fear its a pain response to a recurrence of his infection :cry:
The infection may now be in his digital flexor tendon :cry:

I didn't like to mention it before as I didnt want to upset you even more

:cry:

but the vet said she couldnt feel anything at his check up? she said he seemed fine. wouldnt she be able to tell?

Poor PB! It does sound like a behavioural response to pain :(

Is he still on pain relief, if not it might be worth giving him some...

both feet? even the one that didnt have the pain?

sorry forall the questions. i am sick with worry now, its like a rollercoaster, you think its all going to be okay and then this happens. i thought i had done so well by him :(

You have done well by him hun! Sometimes even with the best care and treatment things dont work out as we hoped they would.

Fingers crossed Peanut has just caught his nail so decided to pull it out to get rid of it. Strawberry lost half a nail the other week but pulled the other half out himself as he didnt seem to like only having half of one!

both feet? even the one that didnt have the pain?

sorry forall the questions. i am sick with worry now, its like a rollercoaster, you think its all going to be okay and then this happens. i thought i had done so well by him :(

As both her hocks (and tendons) were effected, yes, she did chew both feet :cry:

But I may be completely wrong in PB's case.
I really hope that I am

xx

yeh she doesnt think at the moment its connected, she thinks its possible he has some mites down there as shes seen buns pull claws before for such a thing so he is going to see our normal vet tonight. she said either that or its behavioural and hes stressed out, but she doesnt think its connected to the hock.

her worry is that his body hasnt fully recovered and he may get an abcess around the claw so he needs abx straight away and she told me to get septrin not bayril :)

Domino and Pebbles are going along for the ride too as they need their VHD jabs.

i think there going to tell me domino is porly lol. he is getting very round! but hes been fed the same as he always has, i think hes getting lazy :lol:

okay.... there is no harvest mites or anything else that would make him do this. it is either, a weird thing he did for no reason, spooked, angry etc, but thats unlikely considering his previous and the fact hes done on seperate days.

on a closer look only one os his claws hadnt been chewed. she said his actual wound and surgery had been done brilliantly. but unfortnatly that doesnt mean something sinister is going on inside.

She is concerned about the sceptic claw and if that doesnt heal it will abcess and GA's n etc etc and we wont do that.

He is going to see South Beech again on wednesday. If she determines peanut is in pain due to his hock, he will be put to sleep.

im very worried. the vet said unfortnatly considering his previous its a bit hopeful to assume its unrelated.

:(

if its due to pain there is no way i will continue, we didnt realise but every single one bar one claw is short and broken off, scabby and sore. its awful to think my boy is so unhappy he is hurting himself.

I am hoping and praying its unrelated, but then even if it IS, if the foot gets an abcess from him doing this, we still may not carry on.

its too much for him.

all i can hope for is thats is unrelated, and will clear up, and there will be no further problems, but the vet said this is unlikely.

i thought i would burst into tears but i just didnt. i just put him back in his box and said "okay". i feel numb. i love him so much but, its not enough is it.

Back