• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits and guinea pigs together!!!

mybunnies

Warren Scout
whilst out yesterday i called into a pet shop for a bag of hay,and saw at the back a 4x4 glass fronted box with 4 baby rabbits in and 3 guinea pigs in all together the buns where laid down i think they where too hot as the strip light was on above them and only had holes drilled out in the top back of the box.

i didnt think pet shops would or could do this??

i put my hay back and got it from elsewhere

What a horrible pet shop. I have to say I would have said something to them, thats awful. They must sell them to people together too, which is exactly the kind of misinformation that annoys me! I am glad you have contacted the rspca. I would write a letter to the pet care trust too.

What a horrible pet shop. I have to say I would have said something to them, thats awful. They must sell them to people together too, which is exactly the kind of misinformation that annoys me! I am glad you have contacted the rspca. I would write a letter to the pet care trust too.

i didnt say anything only a young girl around working there at the time,i did mention it to a lady looking at the buns,that they shouldnt be together she wasnt plesant and said iv always had them together and my bun lived till it was 17years old!!!

i put the hay back and left the shop:roll:

hi sorry to intrude on your post but i was in a pet shop the other day and they were doing the same (mixing pigs and buns) also they were in tiny tanks not even hutches prob about 3ft long with about 3 buns and 4 pigs in each. They had about 3 tanks (not even in hutches :evil:) like that. Want to report them as its :censored::censored:. What part of the council would i have to contact?

I went to a pet shop up north the other day and they had LOADS of bunnies there.... so many that I was rather concerned... I wonder where all the baby bunnies go when they dont sell?? None of them had hiding places and they were all laying down streched out... they looked hot and bothered.... kids could lean over the wire and touch them which I didnt like.... I was going to buy something for Rimmi but decided that it was best not to give them my costum.... their buns were expencive and there was a big notice saying 'Gender is not guarenteed' puh!

(ps - it was £30+ for a bun err)

2 days and this is the reply from rspca

Thank you for letting us know about your concerns for these animals.

If you remain concerned for their welfare then the best course of action would be for you to contact our 24 hour cruelty & advice line on 0300 1234 999.

You will be asked to give a detailed description of what you have seen as well as your own name, address and telephone number for our records.

It is RSPCA policy to treat all complaints in the strictest confidence. Your name will not be disclosed without your permission, but the RSPCA inspector may need to contact you if you want to know about the result of his or her investigation. Please note that this may only be when the entire enquiry has been concluded.

Our controller will also need to ask you a series of questions about the animal(s) involved to establish the full situation.

Thank you again for contacting us and we hope the above information is helpful.

Kind regards
RSPCA HQ Advice Team 11/08/2009

Back