• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dilemma

Doddy

Alpha Buck
I have posted before about this, but it was a few weeks ago now.

My friend knows someone who has baby rabbits, about 8 weeks old, maybe 9.
She has rehomed some of them, but still has 7 or 8 to rehome. If she can't find homes for them she will give them to rescue.

I really am tempted to give two a home. I can't bear the thought of them going to rescue when I could give them a home (2 anyway!).

I already have two grown up buns, apparently they are approx 5 years old. I rescued these two from a friend who was moving. They have not been neutered and are two females. They live in a shed.

If I do get the 2 babies, I will get them neutered as soon as I can.

Would it be ok for me to put the new buns in a hutch in the shed, so they are separate from my 2, but they can still see each other? Or will they need to be kept totally apart till such time I might be able to bond as a foursome???

My heart is telling me to adopt 2 babies, but there is something telling me to leave well alone.
I don't know if it's the fact that I haven't even got a hutch yet...will get one on tuesday if I decide to get them.

Also...she is asking £15 each for them, she started at £20 but cuz she couldn't rehome them, she has dropped the price.
I am gonna tell her I will pay £25 for the pair...I disagree in the fact that she has bred these buns, it appears she only did it for money. Which makes me feel really sad for the buns, and in a way resentful about paying £15 each...if she is serious about giving them to a good home, surely she should accpet my offer and be glad she has rehomed 2 of them.

I am so mixed up....I don't know what to do for the best. Will it be unfair on my two that I alreayd have to bring 2 babies into the equation???

Advice and opinions greatly received!

If you put them in the same shed as your others you might get problems with referred aggression (fighting between your original rabbits). Would probably be better to keep them seperate until you are ready to bond. You will probably need to neuter your original rabbits first to have any chance of success.

I would offer a home to some but I wouldn't pay anything for them, as you will only encourage her to breed again xx

I wondered about having to neuter my original 2. I thought they might be too old to go thru an op like that? Roxy and Jelly are very laid back, altho jelly does like to hump!

She apparently bred 2 lots at the same time which is why she had so many to rehome...I'm sure she is in it for the money. If she does send them to rescue, surely they won't pay her for them will they!

I don't know what to do...thru principle, like you say, if you pay for them, she will be tempted to breed again...but then if I don't take two I will feel so guilty...

why are people so brainless sometimes and do such irresponsibl things!:censored:

I wondered about having to neuter my original 2. I thought they might be too old to go thru an op like that? Roxy and Jelly are very laid back, altho jelly does like to hump!

She apparently bred 2 lots at the same time which is why she had so many to rehome...I'm sure she is in it for the money. If she does send them to rescue, surely they won't pay her for them will they!

I don't know what to do...thru principle, like you say, if you pay for them, she will be tempted to breed again...but then if I don't take two I will feel so guilty...

why are people so brainless sometimes and do such irresponsibl things!:censored:

A rescue won't pay- why should they? They would be doing her a favour. They would expect a donation actually. That is if she can find one that has room to take them- rescues have to prioritise rabbits that are in danger.

It annoys me that she seems to think she can breed rabbits for profit then pass the 'leftovers' to a rescue for them to pick up the bill for feeding, neutering, vaccinations, veterinary treatment, housing etc.

Sorry, rant over. I just hate people who scab off charities.

Money is her motivator. I'd be round there stealing them all in the middle of the night, lol.
I have babies just now which was a pure mistake as I had vets and people telling me they were 2 females. I have good homes for them all and they are going for free, with a starter kit.
People like her make me mad. For the sake of a few quid.
Wish I was near you as I have plenty spare hutches just now just waiting for adoptions.

I am going to get her number so I can converse with her direct...it is making me more and more angry that she has done this....
I just hope she can find a rescue...i dread to think what she might do to the ones that she can't rehome.

Once I have rehomed 2, I will give her a piece of my mind....although I am worried that once I start ranting, I won't stop!!

Back