• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Gabriel - Sore Hocks

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Looks like my poor Gabe is developing sore hocks. He is only 6 weeks old.
I think it could be to do with the carpet in there - it's really soft carpet though :?
I have some Baytril and Sudocream here so may give that a whirl and put them all on deep hay to see if that does the trick.
Gabriel seems to be the one who wants to cause concern for his Foster Mummy!
Gabe is turning into a proper little lion head now - it's more tufts than anything - so sweet :love:
Sorry I have posted pictures of them in such a long time and none of you have seen the newborns :oops: They are now 2 weeks :oops:
MUST CHARGE CAMERA!!!

Poor Gabriel.
It probably is the carpet. It can be very abrasive, even though it seems soft to us.
Deep soft hay would be better so he can sink his toes in.
He will need a vet trip to rule out infection of course but I remember Jack's-Jane got good results using dressings and savlon advanced healing gel xx

Looks like my poor Gabe is developing sore hocks. He is only 6 weeks old.
I think it could be to do with the carpet in there - it's really soft carpet though

Sore hocks can have a number of causes - anything that alters the foot angle or increases friction/pressure to the foot or is abrasive, sometimes genetic susceptibility alone is enough:
Common causes:
Genetic - certain breeds (lacking guard hairs)
Wet soiled bedding
Nails too long
Inappropriate bedding/flooring
Poor health, compromised immune system
Arthritis/immobility/Obesity
More often than not there can be a 'combination' of factors contributing.

Carpet - unless 'deeply' piled and of natural material can cause sore hocks....they are not just pressure sores but friction sores and carpet produces a lot of friction...especially polyester type carpets.

It could be the carpet or it could be something else underlying. I would certainly review the environment - the more cushioned the better. It is when a rabbit is at rest that its hocks are in contact with the ground so padded areas to rest up are needed. I would also keep his nails nice and trim.
This is just mine and my vet's opinion, but cream squashes any surrounding fur which is actually protecting the sore from further friction/pressure. Creams also make wounds softer and more open to fracture and infection in weight bearing/ground contact areas. Our sore hock foster bun's feet healed without use of cream. I would personally only consider it as a last resort or where bandaging could be used alongside - but that is just me!
I would have a vet check Gabriel's feet over as well to be on the safe side. :)

Jack's-Jane got good results using dressings and savlon advanced healing gel xx

This is where in severe cases a combination of bandaging and a colloidal gel can work well. I would also agree that the Savlon advanced colloidal gel is very effective when appropriate. I think Jane uses silver as well though but I could be wrong?
I would personally at this stage just try changing the environment and trimming his nails :)

I'm not sure that the length of his nails would cause problems at only 6 weeks old.

Some people advise against clipping nails until the rabbit is about 6 months old...I'm not sure what the benefits of this would be though

I don't know what type of carpet they have put it is quite padded. They are litter training themselves at the moment. Half their 5 ft hutch is carpet - the other half deep hay. The carpet is sweeped from poos twice - daily and their litter tray (in carpet) is changed daily.
The other half (hay) is changed every 2 days without fail.
I phoned up Sarah Jane who has obviously got experience with sore hocks with Mr. PB. She suggested Manuka Honey. I went out and bought some (£10 :shock: - nearly had a heart attack!)
They are only 6 weeks old and their nails aren't at all long.
I can't find the battery to my camera- but will try and take some pictures on my phone.

Personally I would check with a vet before applying honey. Will you be putting bandages on top after applying it. If not I would be concerned about them licking it off or it getting on the hay and them ingesting it that way, at 6 weeks their tummies are very delicate and honey is extremely sugary and could possibly cause fatal tummy trouble :?

Back