• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Bruce Please

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
Bruce is a gorgeous 5 and a half year old dwarf lop that is boarding with us at the moment whilst his mum and dad are on honeymoon. He hadn't eaten since Friday morning when he arrived and no poos either. Syringe fed him some probiotics, fibreplex and critical care and still nothing. Called the vet who said to leave him another hour and see if things started moving.

Tonight at 10pm he was looking lethargic, so syringe fed him some more, tummy rubs and some dandelion leaves - still no joy and found him laid in his hutch with his head slumped over the litter tray half an hour later. He was taken straight to the emergency vet tonight and he is a poorly bun. Low temperature and all the signs of colic and when she checked him out down below and squeezed his bottom area, he passed a load of really runny poo.

He has bad maloclusion too which may be affecting his ability to eat.

He has had injections for pain relief, baytril via injection and a gut stimulant, plus a huge syringe full of warm water injected into him. We have more fibreplex for him too and have been allowed to bring him home overnight. He is to go back in the morning if no improvement, but he is very flat and miserable tonight and curled up here beside me on a blanket.

I don't usually reply to threads like this because I don't ever have anything useful/helpful to say.

I still don't but but I'll be thinking about him and hope he pulls through, poor Bruce! Do you think he misses his mum and dad?

I hope Bruce is going to be ok. Are you able to contact his owners?

His owners have been informed and are fully up to date with the treatment he is having.

I dont think he is particularly missing his owners as we were told he is a difficult bun to pick up and give medicine too etc as he kicks out a lot. Well he laid snuggled in my arms tonight no problems and just laid on the vets table for a good half hour without even moving just having noserubs whilst she examined him.

He is fast asleep now and have even managed to pick him up and pop him in a crate for the night without him waking up.

His owners have been informed and are fully up to date with the treatment he is having.

I dont think he is particularly missing his owners as we were told he is a difficult bun to pick up and give medicine too etc as he kicks out a lot. Well he laid snuggled in my arms tonight no problems and just laid on the vets table for a good half hour without even moving just having noserubs whilst she examined him.

He is fast asleep now and have even managed to pick him up and pop him in a crate for the night without him waking up.

That doesn't sound normal to be honest. I would expect him to struggle at least :?

That doesn't sound normal to be honest. I would expect him to struggle at least :?

I am really worried about him. Popping to bed shortly but have set the alarm to go off at hourly intervals to check on him and give more fluids and will pop him back to the vet in the morning - or before if needs be.

Bruce is sadly still not well. His poo is atrocious, literally just wet sludge. He has drunk a little on his own though if you hold a bowl up for him and he has eaten the grand sum of 2 pellets, but you can tell he is in pain trying to eat as he eats on one side. He is still very lethargic too. He is back up to the vets at 3pm.

Thanks Denise, he is gorgeous and will certainly give the best chance he can have. Think I will probably ask the vet to go ahead and sort the teeth out, danger is though the anaesthetic with him not eating:?

Back