• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - Jacks-Jane or bunny savvy people

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Sometime this week Mai injured the end of her tail, it seemed to be healing well. This morning when i went to put Mai out in her run i noticed there was fresh blood on her tail. I put her and Violet in their run and kept an eye on them, it soon became clear Violet was nibbling Mai's tail.

maitale.jpg

I took her out the run and washed her wound with salty water and banaged her tail. I put her back in the run, left for a few minutes to clear all the bits and bobs away that i used on Mai.. When i went back to check on them some of the surgical tape was gone from Mai's banage :(

My parents are shouting at me to split them up but Violet and Mai are inseperable, they love each other dearly.. Violet isn't being mean. What should i do? :(

My concern would be flies,Im afraid.I havent got the brains to work out what would be best to cover it....perhaps a baby sock???

This may sound strange but maybe some really small pants? To put on the bunnies bum that is.... so stop flies, lol.

Not really sure about the nibbling :s

I know this is mean but perhaps you should sit with them for a while and everytime the bun goes to the other buns tail, do something to distract it, may a loud noise like clapping your hands or banging your foot?? Something that isnt too harsh but the bun doesnt like?

I dont know... never had that sort of a prob... :s

Good luck x

Firstly that looks really nasty and personally I'd want her on pain relief and probably antibiotics. There is very little flesh covering the tail and if infection gets into the cartilage/ bone she's in real trouble.

If Violet wont leave Mai's tail alone you will have to seperate them for a while. Maybe put them into cages next to each other and allow them time together when you can supervise them.

Violet is leaving her alone now but we are going to shut him in a hutch tonight just incase he starts again. Luckily Mai hasn't seemed bothered by it. Would she benefit from baytril and metacam?

Violet is leaving her alone now but we are going to shut him in a hutch tonight just incase he starts again. Luckily Mai hasn't seemed bothered by it. Would she benefit from baytril and metacam?

I cannot advise you to administer prescription meds as I am not qualified to do so.
Could you obtain telephone advice from your Vet ?

get some bitter apple spray from the vet and spray on the wound- it tastes rank so she wont nibble it again- its supposed to stop cats and dogs messing with wounds.

be careful though do it in fresh air- if it goes up your nose you will taste it for hours

Back