• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with Rats...

That cage there looks like the Adobe...

http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/acatalog/Rodent-and-Rabbit-Cages.html

Here's an idea of how big it is, I'm 5,2
me_cage001.jpg

I use this for my rattys and I have 4 living in there with enough space for a hammock each. My rattys cage with toys added looks like this now..

P1060002.jpg

The rat that's right in the middle of the photo is over a year old so is adult sized. You'll have plenty of room in your abode for 3 girlies.:D

Ta, they look great :D

Is megazorb ok to use for them?

What do you guys feed? I have read confllicting advice about 'pellets' and mix.

Megazorb is fine but is meant to go everywhere! I use finacard which is shredded cardboard from here http://www.finacard-uk.com/ , you email them and pay via paypal and it arrives in a couple of days and costs £13.99 including postage. Had my bale 3 months and it's still going strong and have had a fair few fosters in the meantime so it's not ju7st the one cage.

I feed the Shumanite diet detailed here http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information/guides.php?subject=shunamite and use the fancy rats forum here http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/ for extra info. There is also a Market place and rehoming board (not just for rats) which is also useful.

It's not as pro-rescue as this site but very anti pet shop and pro sensible breeders.

Turns out the cage is a good size!

RatCage.jpg

Sorry it's not a very good photo but I took it with my camera.

It is about 4.5ft tall, 3ft wide and 2ft deep...is it big enough?

It has 3 levels (including the bottom) but the levels in the middle are wire...will this hurt their feet? If so, what could I use to cover them? They have no tunnels/tubes or hammocks so will get some today.

They are on woodshavings and their eyes look a bit sore. Will change their bedding and keep a close eye on them.

Will get piccies once they have settled in :D

Turns out the cage is a good size!

RatCage.jpg

Sorry it's not a very good photo but I took it with my camera.

It is about 4.5ft tall, 3ft wide and 2ft deep...is it big enough?

It has 3 levels (including the bottom) but the levels in the middle are wire...will this hurt their feet? If so, what could I use to cover them? They have no tunnels/tubes or hammocks so will get some today.

They are on woodshavings and their eyes look a bit sore. Will change their bedding and keep a close eye on them.

Will get piccies once they have settled in :D

A Critter 3, that's not too bad. They are a bit annoying to clean but a good size. Can't wait to see some pics.

the wires not ideal but it shouldn't hurt there feet or cause bumble foot, but for ease i'd cover in lino personally so i coulld just wipe down every day.

this is my one of my many set ups, i change it around completely every 5/6 days. lots of toys and hammocks are a must or they will get really bored!

001-5.jpg

the wires not ideal but it shouldn't hurt there feet or cause bumble foot, but for ease i'd cover in lino personally so i coulld just wipe down every day.

this is my one of my many set ups, i change it around completely every 5/6 days. lots of toys and hammocks are a must or they will get really bored!

001-5.jpg

Thank you :)

Am definately going to get loads of hammocks, tunnels etc. Lino is a good idea...use it for the buns and guineas so have some left over :D

Don't have a pic, but I had a critter 3 for my rats, with tunnels and hammocks in :)
I always want to avoid any with a plastic base as when I had a different cage, my 4 rats chewed their way out (despite the tonnes of toys they had!)

Thank you :)

How do you find they get on with the wire levels?

I found when I was using the wire levels it was fine but I did take out all levels and ladders eventually and just hang stuff as the boys I was fostering were young and a bit porky. I thought the excercise would do them good.

Back