• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timescales for fresh Hay

I contacted my local farm yesterday about their new batch of Hay.
It was cut in June.
How long should I wait before getting some. Would end of August be o.k?

She said I could take some. She said for horses it couldn't be eaten for a few weeks, but she didn't know about rabbits?

Any idea how long I need to wait?

Thanks

I contacted my local farm yesterday about their new batch of Hay.
It was cut in June.
How long should I wait before getting some. Would end of August be o.k?

She said I could take some. She said for horses it couldn't be eaten for a few weeks, but she didn't know about rabbits?

Any idea how long I need to wait?

Thanks

I would treat the rabbits the same as horses, usually hay needs to sit for a while as it can heat up and then sometimes 'ferment', so most farmers leave it to cool again before using. Its horrible if it goes off, if fills up with fungal spores etc.

Thank you for your responses. 6 months seems a long time though. That takes me until Christmas!!

How would I know if it was alright if I took a look at it at the end of August/beginning of September?

I am happily using hay from the farm I go to that was cut recently. I was already using the hay that they had cut this season 4 weeks after cutting, but it had dried very well in the field in all of that good weather that we had. It was excellent. I think that it can be a slight problem if the hay hasn't been able to dry before baling.

my buns have often had fresh hay and never any issues, and also me and hetty (*spider) went and got the left overs in a feild where they had just cut the hay (hehehe) and that was VERY fresh and all our buns are fine!

I bought some just cut farm hay awile ago and my buns have been fine on it, it:D Its green, sweet smelling and dry. The middle is slightly damp but ive split it up and put it into old megazorb bags and its dried nicely and still fresh :D

I never ask when mine was cut :?

The only thing I do do now though is leave it in the hay bin for 3-4 weeks before giving it to the buns though incase it's housing any mites.

I'm with Santa, MissySJ and The Duchess, I had mine a week after it was cut in all lovely summer days we had. And it is lovely.

To be honest at this time of year unless you've got it stocked up because you own horses etc, it's going to be this year's hay wherever you buy it from :? As long as it's not showing any signs of fermenting and is dry and fresh smelling, it should be fine.

Back