• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ack! Help urgent please.

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
My three bunnies who are supposed to be all lovey-dovey with each other (and have been up til now) started seriously fighting this morning.

Smudge has had to be admitted to the vets for surgery to her back leg as there is a 4" diameter flesh wound!! Now I am worrried about that as that was the vets where Frosty died under anaesthetic......

I have no idea why they are fighting now as nothing has changed.

Any clues would be really helpful right now.

What sex and how old are your buns? Are they all neutured? Are they inside or outside buns?

Smudge - neutered female, approx 2yrs old
Cookie - neutered female, approx 1.5 yrs old
Rufus - unneutered male, approx 2 mnths old

All indoor bunnies who have lived in peace for the past 3 weeks.

Hmmm I reckon Rufus may be the problem...have you seen him trying to hump anybun? Maybe he is starting to get some hormones?

If they have only been bonded for 3 weeks then it isnt unusual for a fight to kick off. They will still be establishing a heirarchy and if there is a battle for power it can get nasty.

Personally I would not attempt a rebond after such a serious injury has occured.
IMO it is just not worth the risk.

I hope Smudge recovers well

xx

ETA Just realised you have an entire Buck in with two spayed Does :shock:
There is your answer and has Lou has said your Buck is probably reaching puberty.

If they have only been bonded for 3 weeks then it isnt unusual for a fight to kick off. They will still be establishing a heirarchy and if there is a battle for power it can get nasty.

Personally I would not attempt a rebond after such a serious injury has occured.
IMO it is just not worth the risk.

I hope Smudge recovers well

xx

ETA Just realised you have an entire Buck in with two spayed Does :shock:
There is your answer and has Lou has said your Buck is probably reaching puberty.

So Rufus's hormones are causing the issue? Even though he is only 8 weeks?

OK, what is the solution? Do we separate him?

Hmmm I reckon Rufus may be the problem...have you seen him trying to hump anybun? Maybe he is starting to get some hormones?

He hasn't been humping anything or anyone. I thought he would be a bit young to be getting those hormones. It's not him causing the issue. Smudge was the one on the attack.

So Rufus's hormones are causing the issue? Even though he is only 8 weeks?

OK, what is the solution? Do we separate him?

Yes, until he is neutered at the very least.
Even if he is not yet reaching puberty he has clearly caused upset with your Does.

You could leave him with Cookie but not both her and Smudge.

Last edited:
I would separate him until he can be neutered (has his bits dropped yet) then maybe try carefully rebonding on neutral territory..although it can be difficult if they have injured each other

It is just my personal opinion.
Others may differ, but I could not take the risk of the same thing, or worse, happening again.

I would separate him until he can be neutered (has his bits dropped yet) then maybe try carefully rebonding on neutral territory..although it can be difficult if they have injured each other

I cant see or feel any dropped bits. Smudge and Cookie used to cuddle up with each other on the chair and would lick each other all the time.

Thing is I am not sure we have the room for 2 sets of house bunnies.... definately not 3.

If one bunny has injured another then do they not "forgive and forget" or do they hold grudges?

I cant see or feel any dropped bits. Smudge and Cookie used to cuddle up with each other on the chair and would lick each other all the time.

Thing is I am not sure we have the room for 2 sets of house bunnies.... definately not 3.

If one bunny has injured another then do they not "forgive and forget" or do they hold grudges?

Really depends on the bun...if you were to try rebonding I would try and find a rescue near you that would help (for a donation of course). It may have been the others sensing the buck was near to reaching maturity rather than the buck causing the problems...generally puberty, buns and bonding don't mix!

Once a fight resulting in serious injury has occured rebonding can be extremely difficult and as I have said, IMO too much of a risk for me to take.

Back