• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Frodo is doing worse. How to get him through till get results?

Ocelot

Young Bun
He is on Septrin, since Tuesday, for the nose infection which he has had on and off since March. I have been syringe feeding him but he is now not eating anything himself. He is so skinny and not eating and is now in GI Stasis. I have every kind of fresh, tasty herb and different hard treats and a few days ago he would be tempted by one of them and would eat for a while, but now he is not eating at all. we have tested for everything, but he got so much worse because of doing the tests. We haven't had the results yet as they are growing the culture. Everything I do seems to be too little, too late. The nose infection is worse every time he has some kind of treatment at the vet, and when we have not been successful treating it he has developed bronchitis. I am so upset with my vets. They may be right, that intervention would make it harder for him, but they didn't do any tests or try to find the right antibiotic, just said there aren't any for rabbits. I think it is the way they have communicated with me has not been good.
How can I get Frodo through the next couple of days until we can get results of the tests? We have not found a way to treat the infection successfully yet. All we have tried is Baytril and Septrin. At least one vet called it Septrin, the other called it something else, so I don't know. Frodo was very cold when I got up this morning. I had put a wrapped up hot water bottle down for him, but he did not lie with it. At least his mate, Effie was lying next to him, licking him. Now she is running around eating all the food I put out for him! I cuddled him and warmed him up and syringe fed him. How often should I do this? I know he is miserable. He keeps moving and trying to dislodge the cattargh, or the critical care I have put in his mouth. He is uncomfortable. I do not want to PTS until I have got results and tried something to help him. If I can just get him through the GI Stasis without causing him more stress. I am taking him to vet at nine this morning. Scared he will suggest PTS. What can we do to get him through till we get results and minimise his misery?

He is on Septrin, since Tuesday, for the nose infection which he has had on and off since March. I have been syringe feeding him but he is now not eating anything himself. He is so skinny and not eating and is now in GI Stasis. I have every kind of fresh, tasty herb and different hard treats and a few days ago he would be tempted by one of them and would eat for a while, but now he is not eating at all. we have tested for everything, but he got so much worse because of doing the tests. We haven't had the results yet as they are growing the culture. Everything I do seems to be too little, too late. The nose infection is worse every time he has some kind of treatment at the vet, and when we have not been successful treating it he has developed bronchitis. I am so upset with my vets. They may be right, that intervention would make it harder for him, but they didn't do any tests or try to find the right antibiotic, just said there aren't any for rabbits. I think it is the way they have communicated with me has not been good.
How can I get Frodo through the next couple of days until we can get results of the tests? We have not found a way to treat the infection successfully yet. All we have tried is Baytril and Septrin. At least one vet called it Septrin, the other called it something else, so I don't know. Frodo was very cold when I got up this morning. I had put a wrapped up hot water bottle down for him, but he did not lie with it. At least his mate, Effie was lying next to him, licking him. Now she is running around eating all the food I put out for him! I cuddled him and warmed him up and syringe fed him. How often should I do this? I know he is miserable. He keeps moving and trying to dislodge the cattargh, or the critical care I have put in his mouth. He is uncomfortable. I do not want to PTS until I have got results and tried something to help him. If I can just get him through the GI Stasis without causing him more stress. I am taking him to vet at nine this morning. Scared he will suggest PTS. What can we do to get him through till we get results and minimise his misery?

It sounds as though he needs admitting for intensive treatment

Depending on what your Vets findings are on examination this morning Frodo may need IV fluids, analgesia, prokinetics, oxygen and heat therapy (heat lamp or heat pad).

I would not attempt any more syringe feeds for now. If he is in respiratory distress he may aspirate a feed. I'd get him into a pet carrier with an additional heat source and set off for the Vets ASAP

Good Luck

What chance is there of him improving doign the IV and intensive therapy? Results so far show nothing is wrong. No bad bacterias. witing for Myxi and e cuni tests, but pretty sure it isn't that. My vet thinks mabe the abcess damaged his throat. and useing antibiotics to treat the nose nad chest infections have caused his weight loss. And there is nothign more he can do. I am takgin him to a different vet now. but I don't want to keep him away from home too long on a drip if it there is nothign we can do. Jo

What chance is there of him improving doign the IV and intensive therapy? Results so far show nothing is wrong. No bad bacterias. witing for Myxi and e cuni tests, but pretty sure it isn't that. My vet thinks mabe the abcess damaged his throat. and useing antibiotics to treat the nose nad chest infections have caused his weight loss. And there is nothign more he can do. I am takgin him to a different vet now. but I don't want to keep him away from home too long on a drip if it there is nothign we can do. Jo

He needs treatment for the GI stasis, not just the infection.
If his guts are not working he will just become more and more ill. Hence why IMO he needs to be admitted.

xx

Frodo is staying in a good vets with lots of help.

I am so much happioer with the vets I have taken him to now. they have him on a fluids and are syringe feeding him and tell me he has improved since I brought him in. They did a quick anaesthetising and checked to see if anything was blocking his throat (teeth or damage from the abcess) as his gut is not blocked or bloated. it was all clear - no teeth problems from this latest not eating. So it is probably the nose infection and respiratory problems from that stopping him eat. The vet has put him on a different antibiotic, I haven't heard of, to treat the infection. The one my other vet used was not working. Frodo was so thin and ill when I took him. But my other vet did not want to do anything. Today I got the test back from the culture they took and it was negative so my vet said there was not a harmful bacteria. However, today, for the first time, he has white discharge from his nose, so he does have pasteurella or something similar. I know he is in the best place to give him a chance, and he keeps fighting to live. thank you for your advice and being there - you are great! Jo

I am so much happioer with the vets I have taken him to now. they have him on a fluids and are syringe feeding him and tell me he has improved since I brought him in. They did a quick anaesthetising and checked to see if anything was blocking his throat (teeth or damage from the abcess) as his gut is not blocked or bloated. it was all clear - no teeth problems from this latest not eating. So it is probably the nose infection and respiratory problems from that stopping him eat. The vet has put him on a different antibiotic, I haven't heard of, to treat the infection. The one my other vet used was not working. Frodo was so thin and ill when I took him. But my other vet did not want to do anything. Today I got the test back from the culture they took and it was negative so my vet said there was not a harmful bacteria. However, today, for the first time, he has white discharge from his nose, so he does have pasteurella or something similar. I know he is in the best place to give him a chance, and he keeps fighting to live. thank you for your advice and being there - you are great! Jo

I am pleased that Frodo is now receiving appropriate treatment and I hope that you will have encouraging news about him tomorrow

xx

Frodo died this evening.

He was too week and slipped away. The man on duty who called me said his breathing had got a bit better since he was there and he was not struggling with it when he died, just was too week to continue.

What is 'analgesia, prokinetics'?

It is never right when a bunny dies.
Each time I look after a bunny I know more, to look after them better next time.

I will write to him on the bridge.

Thanks for all your help.
Jo

He was too week and slipped away. The man on duty who called me said his breathing had got a bit better since he was there and he was not struggling with it when he died, just was too week to continue.

What is 'analgesia, prokinetics'?- analgesia is 'pain relief' and prokinetics are meds used to try to get the gastrointestinal tract working again.

Each time I look after a bunny I know more, to look after them better next time.

Jo

I am so very sorry :cry:

I'm so sorry you lost your little friend.
It sounds like you did everything you could but he was just too poorly xx

I am so sorry, I lost my rabbit on Sunday morning and know how awful you must be feeling, sending lots of hugs xx

Thank you

Thank you for your thoughts and reading this and being there. I am only sorry so many of us know how this feels. But it gives me comfort to have you there. Special thoughts to Daisy-May's little one. Jo

What is 'analgesia, prokinetics'?

Jo

I'm so sorry about Frodo :cry:

Frodo's intestines and stomach seemed to be working fine. He was pooing normally, a little less in the last couple of days coz he was not eating. But he just kept losing weight when he was eating fine. and then he didn't eat so much. I wish I could understand it all. And it is so hard to accept that they die so easily. I am not doing too well with coping with his loss. He was just too young and I miss him in the house. My home feels empty and full of loss. My first bunny who died, Mo, she lost weight over a period of two years and we could never work out why. But again, I don't think I had a great vet for rabbits. I think some vets just accept that they die easily and don't get specific about finding out what is wrong. they are right not to want to do too much that is not going to help as that can cause more disturbance, but I can't help wanting to find someone who knows more details and has more experience with rabbits. At least my other rabbit Effie is a tough one. But for her sake I will find a vet I trust before she has any problems.

Back