• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dirty Bum!!!

Bobbin

Warren Scout
Loppy (Mum's bunny) got a dirty bum and went to the vet yesterday for a wash down - at a cost of nearly £45!:roll::shock: I nearly collapsed with shock. Another direct hit on my bank account.:cry:

The vet said he got himself into a state because he was too fat:lol: but I thnk he's a big fluffball who can't be bothered to clean himself:roll: Does anyone else have this problem? he got so mucky that he looked sore underneath and we couldn't cope with washing him and making him more sore - poor lad!

Mum said that he doesn't run around much at home.... could have fooled me. he's lodging in the kitchen for a few days 'cos Mum's ill, and he escaped tonight... and he certainly can run!

oh, and Mum said he bites her. I think that's cos his name is Loppy and she calls him Lollipop - I don't blame him:lol::lol::lol:

I certainly don't want to shock you, but dirty bums in rabbits can become serious.
Flies can lay their eggs in the muck, & cause a very serious condition we all dread called "fly strike". Please can you treat the bunny with "Rear Guard"
obtainable from the vet ASAP tomorrow to prevent this?
Did your vet advise you about how to look after Loppy in the future, particularly diet & how to keep her bum clean?
There may be a vet nurse at the surgery to help you. It is easier to explain things face to face than via a computer.
Please let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
The vet said he got himself into a state because he was too fat:lol: but I thnk he's a big fluffball who can't be bothered to clean himself:roll: Does anyone else have this problem? he got so mucky that he looked sore underneath and we couldn't cope with washing him and making him more sore - poor lad!

It is very true (my vet told me too) basically if rabbits become to fat they can't clean themselves underneath as they should be able too and then, yes they get dirty bums. The risk of this is, like someone mentioned, flystrike, which can kill rabbits. Not to mention the soreness or being overweight too.

Please look at your rabbits diet and slowly make changes if it need improving. They need a small handful (egg cup?) of pellets, veg and lots and lots and lots and lots of hay!

I have the same problem :cry:

My two dwarf lops look like they are the same size, but one weighs 1.6kg and the other 2.7kg. Which one has a mucky bum???

The lighter one!

I know she doesn't eat enough hay so I buy lots of expensive hay to try and tempt her but she just doesn't seem as interested in that or in cleaning herself as our male bunny. He even tries to clean her behind but she doesn't like it. Anyway, I've just given her a bath and got two bites as thanks and I didn't entirely succeed in getting it all off. She does look quite sore so I think I'm going to try to book her into the vets for a check up and proper clean.

They are on excel at the moment and I'm thinking of changing that. Does anybody have any advice on pellets for mucky bunnies?

can you not trim his fur around his bum or get someone to do it for you?
he really doesnt need a dirty bum poor bunny;)

We have a fat bun here, she doesn't get a mucky bottom as yet but the vet has told me to only feed her hay/grass until she is the normal weight, maybe this is something you could do too?

My mucky bunny can be really moody and stroppy sometimes and she went into stasis last time I tried to cut back the pellets and replace with hay. Once it was clear she had stopped eating I tried to give her pellets and her favourite veg but she was having none of it so we had an emergency Sunday vet trip to sort her out then..

I have the same problem :cry:

My two dwarf lops look like they are the same size, but one weighs 1.6kg and the other 2.7kg. Which one has a mucky bum???

The lighter one!

I know she doesn't eat enough hay so I buy lots of expensive hay to try and tempt her but she just doesn't seem as interested in that or in cleaning herself as our male bunny. He even tries to clean her behind but she doesn't like it. Anyway, I've just given her a bath and got two bites as thanks and I didn't entirely succeed in getting it all off. She does look quite sore so I think I'm going to try to book her into the vets for a check up and proper clean.

They are on excel at the moment and I'm thinking of changing that. Does anybody have any advice on pellets for mucky bunnies?

If there is such a big weight difference I am wondering if the lighter ones has dental problems and is therefore not eating quickly enough when they are fed so is not getting enough to eat. Dental problems can also make it difficult for a bunny to keep itself clean and if she is experiencing dental pain it may be why she is moody :?

I'm not saying this is definately the case but it would be worth getting the vet to give her teeth a good check when she sees him :)

1.6kg is very light for a dwarf lop. If you're sure she is definitely a dwarf rather than a mini lop, then she might have a medical condition (teeth problems maybe?) and needs a thorough check up by a rabbit savvy vet.

I was worried about her teeth so got the vet to check them during her last visit a few months ago and she said they were fine.

She definitely does eat more slowly than our other rabbit. Really seems to savour her pellets whereas he just wolfs them down. She's the dominant one though and she makes sure she gets enough before she lets him near the bowl.

She could be a mini lop. She's a rescue bunny and looks the same size as our dwarf lop but is much fluffier. The vet said her weight was ok for her size.

My bun gets a dirty bum from time to time, he is a little over weight but not by much. I do think his just lazy and likes me to cuddle him while i clean him up. I do check him on a daily basis and he is treated with fly strike.
He has plenty of hay.

TBH I'm not surprised it cost a lot. I rescued a bunny with a very mucky bum once and it rook me a good hour to clean and dry her off

.... sadly Loppy passed away last night..... :(
He had a great time running round on the lawn yesterday, but was snuggled up in his bed dead this morning.

Mum rang to wish me happy birthday, and I had to give her the news. Well at least he had a clean bum!

.... sadly Loppy passed away last night..... :(
He had a great time running round on the lawn yesterday, but was snuggled up in his bed dead this morning.

Mum rang to wish me happy birthday, and I had to give her the news. Well at least he had a clean bum!

I'm so sorry. Thank you for telling us.
Not only did Loppy have a clean bum, but a lovely time running in the garden, and a peaceful end in his sleep.
RIP little Loppy.

I notice that others have posted with "mucky bum" problems.
It seems insensitive to me to continue the discussion on this thread after Loppy has passed away. Is further advice needed?

Back