• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A new friend?

the hutch and run is suitable for 2 rabbits. I would get your female neutered first at 6 months and then get her a neutered male as a friend, this is the best combination bond. You could get another female but she would also have to be neutered at 6 months otherwise they will most definatly fight.

Yes because she would be very hormonal and territorial, also it is best to get her neutered for lots of health reasons:

Prevention of Uterine Cancer – 80% of female rabbits that are not neutered are likely to get Uterine Cancer before the age of 3, this can be fatal and lead to death at a early age.

Prevention of Other Uterine Disease

Prevention of False Pregnancies – This can be stressful for the rabbit that thinks she is pregnant; she can become aggressive, start nest building and produce milk.

Prevention of Aggressive Behaviour.

Hi Nicola, It is a really good idea to get the female neutered as this can protect her against cancer of the womb. Also she may get a bit grumpy as she gets older due to hormomes etc. This also can lead to her getting stressed and causing some illnesses. xxxx

Ok. Thanks. I have to be honest, i'm not as clued up on rabbits as i am on guinea pigs (have 6), so i have come on here to learn. :)

I will get an appointment arranged, any idea of costs?

You will find everything you need to know about rabbits here!! Ring around a few vets, you may want to find one which is rabbit savvy, you can find this out by ringing the rabbit welfare fund. Neutering can vary depending where you live from £40 to over £100.

You're definitely in the right place. I love this forum and have learnt loads. Keep us up to date with what you decide, and we'd like some photos of your bunny please :D

I think your best getting your female neutered and getting her a neutered male as suggested. If you go for a recue male he will already be neutered so you won't have the expense or worry of it a second time. If you get a rescue male it would be best to choose a rescue and ask what their requirements are as even the hutch/run combo little bun has suggested may be too small for some rescues but ok for others. I personally wouldn't go for a 6ft run unless it was just for night time use as I don't think it's enough space but that's just my opinion, other think differently.

Good luck and you are definitely in the right place for advice :wave:

Very good hutch!

If it is well made that 2 rabbit hutch looked ideal. It will keep them separated until the neutering/spaying and healing is complete but still allows them to face each other! Which is always the first step when introducing new rabbits!

Also if they are allowed to go in the run separately they will begin to smell and tolerate each others scents so they might no become so shocked when they are suddenly introduced.

However, you should probably make sure you do the introducing in a neutral place rather than the run until they have properly accepted one another - then they will eventually tolerate each other in the same space!

Last edited:
Back