• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions please

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Heather and Lily are due to be vaccinated with VHD next week. They are both elderly buns who have just lost their partner and I will need to start bonding them to Bertie shortly as he can go into stasis when living alone :( This will also mean another move in accommodation.

Should I postpone the VHD until things have settled down for them? Or is it not worth the risk? I just don't want to put them through too much stress in one go :?

I don't really know, apart for Cirrus the horse getting a lump after her vacs, I've never had a problem with an animal being vaccinated- and we've gone through a few- so I probably wouldn't even think about the possibility of there being a problem.:oops:

my vet has let me put off Pearl and Alvins VHD jab by a month and he dont think itll be a problem... i think postponing would be a safe bet :D

I too would postpone the vaccination. VHD risks are pretty low compared to Myxi unless you have an outbreak anywhere near you? Bonding is stressful on the immune system - i personally would be cautious about overloading it during a stressful time...I would either vaccinate and postpone bonding, which it sounds like could be detrimental to Bertie (Oh how I wish I could give my sponsor bun a big hug...he sounds like he needs one!...and Fern too of course....so sorry it didn't work out), or I would postpone vaccination until bonding sorted.

Nino was a little under the weather yesterday so me and my vet decided to postpone his Myxi for 2 weeks (I do them 6 monthly anyway). I'm always cautious around vaccinations - not to subject to any further stress within 2 weeks of them - including moving them, bonding them or any other non vital treatments) due to risks of overloading the immune system with stress if already compromised. But that's just my opinion. :)
I'm sure whatever you do will be fine.

My vet uses Lapinject :)

So now I have 2 in favour of doing it now and 2 for postponing:?

Who wants the deciding vote?

Tricky one - I would be inclined to delay it for a couple of weeks. Lapinject only takes 6 days for immunity to develop compared to 21 for cylap, so if you delay it for a fortnight, the fresh immunity will be fully developed by the same time it would have been for a cylap one anyway.

Not ideal but I'd have thought there's a risk that the immune response won't develop properly anyway if the buns are particularly stressed - it's not as if it's weeks or months out of date.

Not ideal but I'd have thought there's a risk that the immune response won't develop properly anyway if the buns are particularly stressed - it's not as if it's weeks or months out of date.

Thats what I'm thinking :? I would rather wait and know they are covered than have them done and have a false sense of security.

I need to give my vet numbers on monday so they can have the vaccine orederd in especially :)

Back