• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just head the most awful thing...

Jaki5

Alpha Buck
My fiance has just informed me that there is a "pet shop" well he said its a pet shop that SELLS rescued rabbits and what happens is they let you take a bunny home and if it doesnt bond with your bunny then you;ve to send it back to the shop for someone else to maybe try!! Is this normal?? I really couldn't beleive my ears, I the exclaimed to him that bunnies are not toys that you can "try" out and also that it is like saying to an orphan oh your going to a home but if they dont like you or you dont get on with their kids you will be sent right back!!
Surely if the bunny doesn;t bond then you just keep them seperated or something??
Maybe I've got it wrong but in my opinion I think thats such a shame to give a rescue bunny the hope of a new home and then sending it back to be left until someone comes along!!

Big post/rant but just had to find out if its normal and apologies if it is :?

Yes, I think it's normal that rescues will let you give back a rabbit that doesn't bond with an existing one. Not sure if they all do this, but definitely some. Also when you say 'SELLS' rescue rabbits, maybe I've misunderstood you but it's not free to get a rescue rabbit. Donations are asked for to go some way to paying for neutering, vaccinations etc. I think between £30 and £50 per rabbit is pretty normal.:)

I agree with u, I would keep the bunny in a seperate cage and not send it back, not fair on the bunny!!!

I wouldn't be fair on the bunnies to keep them alone when they have the chance of being paired up. Most rescues to this to ensure their buns find a partner they are happy with

Have to say I agree with Lou - it may not be ideal (this is one of the reasons that many rescues will let you take your bunny to them to start off the bonding, so you can see that they are likely to get along) - but actually it is far better for the rabbit in the long term.

They are social animals and in most cases I'd say it's pretty unkind to commit them to living a solitary life when they would be much happier with a friend. So although it's not a perfect situation, it's actually far better for the rabbit to be returned and tried with another partner so that it can live the rest of its life with a friend instead of alone :)

Thanks for replying everyone. I think it is an actual pet shop as it sells other animals to. Just never heard of it before and it took me by suprise! I think I'd rather take my bunny to them though and try it that way instead of bringing the new bunny home to try it couldn;t bare to get attached to it and then on the off chance it doesnt work have to take it back! x

isnt that what P@H adoption centre does lol

i had to sign to say that if there was any problems to take it back to P@H - not any where else

Back