• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diabetes

MellyRabiit

Alpha Buck
It's not a good day for me, I'm really down tonight :(

I have just got back from the vets and it doesn't seem good.

Over the last couple of weeks, i have noticed that Bugsy has been losing weight (at first I thought that it could be because she has moulted so much) but yesterday I started to feel her bones :( So i booked an appointment straight away... She is eating fine, pooing fine, but now also drinking loads!! So i knew something was up. she is drinking a massive bottle a day!

The vet did a blood test and her glucose levels are really low! so she now has to have 2 x 0.1ml of insulin injected into her everyday :(

Im really down as the vet said the medicine might not work, especially as diabetes isnt common in rabbits!! If the medicine doesnt work then she will just lose weight until eventually she will die :(.

Im keeping my fingers crossed everything will be ok and it will work! Any advice appreciated please.

Hopefully someone else has a positive story! Please also tell me bad points, and bad stories so I knwo what im looking for!!

Thats interesting as I have been looking into diabetes in bunnies. I didn't realise they could have insulin injections

From looking on the internet and from what the vet said diabetes in rabbits is extremely rare, thats why im scared :(

I have to go back in the morning so I can show the vet that I know how to inject it, and then after that its down to me :(

I am surprised your Vet diagnosed DM based on just one blood test :?

AFAIK to obtain a diagnosis of DM in Rabbits a series of blood tests are required at specific times of day :?

Did the Vet check your Rabbit's Liver function?

In Rabbits Liver Disease is a much more common cause of severe weightloss and hypoglycaemia :?

I hope that whatever the problem is your Bun will remain 'feeling OK' within herself.

Thanks Jane and Hugo

She has been completely fine in herself this whole time which surprises me as you normally can tell if something is up.

He did a blood test and glucose test and based it on the symptoms that I told him.. i can give you the exact names of the tests if that helps? I kept the receipt and there are two on there.

She is eating and pooing fine! but drinking loads, with weight loss.. She has lost 0.3kg since our last visit, which is 1/10th of her weight :(

Everybody talks about blood samples for diabetes, but shouldn't a urine sample be the first port of call, usually ( for other species) it is checked for glucose and ketones in the urine. Wish I'd thought of this while worrying about Kizzy.:(

I believe they use insulin to treat diabetes in guinea pigs, so why not rabbits?

It is highly possible they can use insulin, I have never discussed it with my vet, I was just pointing out that the info I was given on here implied it wasn't needed. :)

My Freddy's urine test came back clear but he has all the same symptoms of the OP's bunny :?

Are the bunnies hyperactive and eating well. If so it could be something like hyperthyroid, as mentioned by Thumps on another thread.
The biggest problem is we don't really know what is truely common in rabbits, because if they are severly ill they are either dead before the owner notices or PTS because of the cost, without a diagnosis.
That is what is good about this forum, people are willing to pay for the tests and everybody learn a little more!:)

She never had a urine test.

He said that hopefully we will see an improvement and I have to keep an eye on her. She will have to go back for another check up.

Im assuming I will give her insulin for a couple of weeks and then see if her glucose levels are much higher.

THen he might start to consider other matters I suppose, I dont know :(

Im going to find it so hard injecting her everyday!!

@ Half Penny - I know what you mean - I could never put my rabbits down for the cost. I am totally skint at the moment, my boyfriend of 5 years moved out so im living in a property on my own, paying all bills myself. And I'm only 20! today alone cost me £45 :(

So Im willing to get to the bottom of it dont worry :)

Back