• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please On Possible Accidental Pregnancy

scatter

Alpha Buck
I feel so awful - my rabbit Charlie is due to be neutered on Monday (he is 5 months old). I have been very careful about keeping him separate from my female rabbit, Poppy (who is four and a half months old) and they have been in separate rooms for exercise. However, last night the door was left slightly ajar and Charlie was able to run in and 'mount' Poppy for about 5 seconds (then he did that low grunt). I quickly pulled him off at this point and separated them. I am so, so worried now that Poppy may be pregnant - obviously because I never had any intention of this happening and also because she is so young.

What on earth can I do? My rabbit savvy vet isn't in until Monday (he is due to do Charlie's castration). I'm so worried and upset.

It depends partly on what size rabbit she is. 8 months seems quite old to me, most vets seem to spay by 6 months, but I do know rabbits that have been done younger.

If you explain what has happened I'm sure your vet will be able to decide what the risks are and discuss your options. :)

It depends partly on what size rabbit she is. 8 months seems quite old to me, most vets seem to spay by 6 months, but I do know rabbits that have been done younger.

If you explain what has happened I'm sure your vet will be able to decide what the risks are and discuss your options. :)

Thanks, will be onto him first thing in the morning!!

Our first does were done at 5 months old - they were both quite small buns & more recently we have had 3 fost buns done at 4 1/2 months old who were bigger buns :)

I think it depends on your vets advice though & how they feel about spaying at this age. Good luck, hope you can get things sorted.

I always have does done at 4 months providing they are at least 1KG in weight. Some vets are happy to spay at this age (providing they are rabbit savvy) as the organs and not yet covered in fat and are easier to find. Other vets will wait as the ovaries are almost string like being so small and so they think it makes things a little more difficult. An emergency spay would be my choice at this point to save any more babies! Good luck :)

I always have does done at 4 months providing they are at least 1KG in weight. Some vets are happy to spay at this age (providing they are rabbit savvy) as the organs and not yet covered in fat and are easier to find. Other vets will wait as the ovaries are almost string like being so small and so they think it makes things a little more difficult. An emergency spay would be my choice at this point to save any more babies! Good luck :)

Thank you all - Poppy actually is quite well over 1kg and my vet is very rabbit savvy - he's great, I just think if given a choice he would rather wait a little bit!

Back