• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bald patch on ear u/d pic added

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
as i was stroking eric a while agi i noticed he has a bald patch on the back of one of his ears. its near the base and the skin underneath doesn't appear inflamed or irritated at all.

any ideas as to what it may be before i ring the vets in a panic?

(he did go in for his castration and dental 3 weeks ago so have i maybe missed something regarding that?)

here's a pic of eric's ear
IMG_2915.jpg

Last edited:
Has he been scratching his ears alot ?

Has he had a Myxomatosis Vaccine recently ?

he doesn't seem to have been scratching any more than usual and his myxi jab was in feb/march (just trying to decide whether to have a 2nd one done soon:?)

why? could it be something bad jane?

It seems to be completely off the whole area which is strange...

My bunny had a blood test taken from her ear so had it shaved, and it took months for the fur to grow back (although that could just be her, shes having the same problem after being spayed). That could MAYBE be a possibility as its so cleanly done. But as you said it was 3 weeks ago, and your vet didnt mention anything im not so sure...

Are there any more bald patches? Have you seen any fleas/mites? Could you maybe phone your vets monday and ask whether they think you need to go in? If the buns in fine health otherwise i wouldnt say its an emergancy, so i wouldnt personally call an emergancy vet.

It seems to be completely off the whole area which is strange...

My bunny had a blood test taken from her ear so had it shaved, and it took months for the fur to grow back (although that could just be her, shes having the same problem after being spayed). That could MAYBE be a possibility as its so cleanly done. But as you said it was 3 weeks ago, and your vet didnt mention anything im not so sure...

Are there any more bald patches? Have you seen any fleas/mites? Could you maybe phone your vets monday and ask whether they think you need to go in? If the buns in fine health otherwise i wouldnt say its an emergancy, so i wouldnt personally call an emergancy vet.

i can't see any more bald patches. i only found this one by chance as eric had his head bent forward (the fur around his ears looks tufty anyway when he does that). i'm not aware of any blood tests done when he had his op - the vet asked if i wanted them done to check for kidney probs etc but i didn't at the time:? the skin looks lovely and smooth, no irritation or scabs and i've been having a look for mites but can't see anything. the inner ear doesn't look red either. confusing:?

Back