• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny! Bit of advice needed?

Hi guys, I didn't know which section to put this in so appologies if it's the wrong one, and for the long winded post.

Finally got our bun on tuesday, she's a gorgeous smokey coloured 12 week old dwarf lop, we've named her Lulu.

She's going to be an indoor bun, her cage is located in the garage, which she has free run of half, and the doors open so she can get into the rest of the house. At the minute shes got sawdust on the cage floor, but i'm going to switch this to newspaper and a litter tray with wood based cat litter as it appears shes decided on her toilet corner (shes only ever urinated in one corner since shes been here). She's got a constant supply of hay and water and i'm feeding her half an average sized cup full of pellets two times a day (at around 9 a.m. then 5 p.m.). I've also got some wooden chewing blocks/toys and an empty toilet roll in the cage at the moment, and i'll be going out to get some more toys for her tomorrow.
We left her pretty much alone for about the first 24 hours, and since then me and my girlfriend have just been sat outside her cage talking to her so she can get used to us. She seems quite comfortable with us, she's been having a wash (which is extremely cute! haha), eating, drinking, coming over to see/sniff us and just generally laying around. She's also been coming over to us, flopping over onto her side and letting us sit and stroke her ears for as long as we please, she appears to quite enjoy this as after a while her eyes start closing/dosing off.

The only this is she hasn't ventured out of her cage yet, we've left the door open and a ramp down from the lip of the plastic base onto the floor, she looks as if she wants to come out, she's been putting her front paws on the edge of the cage and sticking her head out and peering around, but has never fully come out. I'm presuming she'd be able to hop out if she wanted to? Or could it be she can't actually get out of the cage?
The cage is similar to this one, only larger...
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/bilder/1/5307_ferplast_kaninchenkaef_1.jpg

Also does everything else I've been doing sound ok? amount of food etc?

Thanks for the help guys :)

Last edited:
Hello,

Lulu sounds lovely. I'm no expert but what you're doing sounds right. I would however, check that the amount of pellets you are giving her matches the amount recommended by the manufacturers. It should give you that information on the packet and it's usually a surprisingly small amount.

I'd leave her be, if she is happy in her cage, and give her time to settle down. She will get curious about what's going on outside of her cage and hop out at some stage.

She'll soon find her way out when she's comfortable, after that there will be no stopping her! :lol:

The only thing I'd change is your amount of pellets as it sounds a bit high. Most people on here stick to an eggcup full which only works out as a couple of table spoons a day. I know it seems like hardly anything but if she's fed too much and she wont eat as much hay as she needs to.

Back