• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To neuter or not to neuter

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I am thinking of taking my buck baby bun to get neutered when he hits 6 months old because I'm looking to get him a female companion by the time he is 1 year old. I've been told by a friend that it's a bad idea to neuter bucks and a much better idea to spay the doe and keep the buck intact. What is the general consesus here? Obviously I will definitely spay the doe because it leads to uterine cancer if I don't, but what about the buck?

You were definitely right :D:wave:. Both need to be done as if not he will just pester the female non-stop and probably end up getting bitten as she will get very annoyed (think what you would do in that position). It's a much simpler op for bucks, they are normally running around within a day or so, not recommended but there's not much you can do to stop them. It honestly is worth it, I saw a difference in my buck instantly whe he was done.

He may be able to have the op before 6 months as it can be done as soon as his testicles have dropped. Have you considered getting a rescue doe? If you did you would have the spay done before she was rehomed so you wouldn't have to go through the worry again.

I am thinking of taking my buck baby bun to get neutered when he hits 6 months old because I'm looking to get him a female companion by the time he is 1 year old. I've been told by a friend that it's a bad idea to neuter bucks and a much better idea to spay the doe and keep the buck intact. What is the general consesus here? Obviously I will definitely spay the doe because it leads to uterine cancer if I don't, but what about the buck?

I would definately neuter him :)

Intact males are prone to health problems too. Plus, if not neutered, he will pester the female constantly, it is likely he will spray on most things...including you! A castrated male will be mich happier and healthier than an intact one.

Thirded - I think just about everyone on the forum would tell you to neuter the buck :) An unneutered buck in with a female will be very sexually frustrated and will constantly try and hump her. She will end up getting very cross and will more than likely end in serious injuries to one or both of them.

As has already been said, it's a much more straightforward operation for a male so I would definitely get him done too :) Males can be 'done' as soon as their bits drop, which can be anytime from 12 weeks - some vets prefer to wait until they are a bit bigger but many will do it as soon as they appear, so you may not need to wait until he is 6 months old.

Yes, neuter him... and if you take a female, have her spayed for health reasons, because often females try to mount male or femelle whatever they have near them, and get phantom pregnancies which in the long range is harmful to them..

Definately neutor. He will CONSTANTLY try and pester the female whether she's been done or not. I have had male rabbits kept alone and not had them neutored and personally i had no problems, health or behavioural, but for the sake of the female get him done!

As has been said, they CAN be done from as soon as their testes have dropped, HOWEVER my vet refused to do mine until he was a bit older, his testes dropped completely at about 3 1/2 months, but she wanted to wait until he was 5 months, mainly as he'd be bigger and stronger, so better at surviving the op.

Just wondering...why wait until he's a year old before you get a female? Couldnt you get one maybe 2 months after he's been done, or before but keep them seperate whilst his hormones are high and she's recovering from her op?

Thanks guys, this is really helpful! Just wanted a consensus. The reason i don't want to get a doe for another 6-8 months is because my partner is still getting used to this rabbit, so need to give him a bit more time before I bring another one in!

Back