• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way to avoid stasis?

LloydFerris

Warren Scout
I have an Americal product called Petromalt that I give the buns a dab of once a week, just to make sure their plumbing runs well. They haven't had any problems yet so I am just doing this as a preventative. I am watching carefully for loose poos and/or diarrhea and have had no trouble with that at all.
Is this an acceptable method of avoiding stasis or is their a better alternative for regular maintenance?

Personally I would rather use a good hay based diet, ample water intake and lots of exercise rather than giving something like Petromalt.
A healthy Rabbit with the appropriate diet and enough exercise should not require anything to 'keep them regular' :)

I have an Americal product called Petromalt that I give the buns a dab of once a week, just to make sure their plumbing runs well. They haven't had any problems yet so I am just doing this as a preventative. I am watching carefully for loose poos and/or diarrhea and have had no trouble with that at all.
Is this an acceptable method of avoiding stasis or is their a better alternative for regular maintenance?

I personally wouldn't advise a paraffin substance to prevent stasis.....it is often thought to be of no help and can make things worse apparently.
The best way to keep your bun's guts working properly is a diet high in fibre (hay/grass), plenty of exercise, cut out starchy and sugary treats, only feed commercial feed, fruit and other starchy foods in moderation, plenty of fresh leafy greens/veg to keep the guts well hydrated and spot any pain or ill health quickly and seek immediate vet attention. :D

:wave: Personally I wouldn't recommend petromalt - it is based on liquid petrolatum. Rabbits intestines need to be really well hydrated for them to work properly, and oil + water don't mix - so I'd be more concerned that in fact it could coat a hairball and prevent it from becoming hydrated enough to pass through easily.

Fresh pineapple and/or papaya are supposed to help - because they contain an enzyme called bromelain which actually breaks down hair (the bromelain is destroyed by heat treatment though so the canned or UHT stuff is no good!). But they are very sugary, and things that are high in sugar can also cause problems for buns intestines.

Personally I think a good, high fibre diet consisting of mainly hay/grass, a small amount of pellets, a selection of fresh vegetables and fresh clean water, is the best way of preventing stasis. More often than not, stasis is a secondary symptom of something else anyway (often dental problems) so a high fibre diet is also a good way of helping your bun to keep his teeth nicely worn down.

If your bun does get a lot of hair passing through his system and you want to try something, I would prefer to use a tiny piece of pineapple or papaya (you can also buy these as specific bunny treats!) rather than petromalt :)

Thanks so much! My babies do get plenty of hay, lots of fresh water and a fair amount of fresh greens. No junky treats for them, but a bit of fruit from time to time. So it seems I am doing okay without the Petromalt. They are also free-run house buns so they get plently of exercise.
I do also give pellets, but have often wondered if I give too much/enough. Each of my buns weigh approx 1.5 kilograms. What would the correct amount be?
Oh, and if I was to give pineapple and/or papaya, how much would be appropriate and how often?

Last edited:
my male bun poos for England, i sure he is seeing how fast he can fill his litter tray up.. still at least he is healthy.:)

90% hay 24h a day, vegetables, good exercise, less pellets, and make sure he drinks, this in normal situtations, but sometimes it happens that some rabbits get stasis several times in their lives with no apparent reasons (that was my case and also mentioned in the HRS vet section)

1.5kg is quite little so about a tablespoon a day would be fine. The rest of the diet should be made up of hay plus any fresh foods you want to give. For fresh foods the best types are leafy greens like they'd find in the wild so this like dandelion, blackberry/raspberry leaves, weeds (check they aren't poisonous), herbs etc.

Thanks so much! My babies do get plenty of hay, lots of fresh water and a fair amount of fresh greens. No junky treats for them, but a bit of fruit from time to time. So it seems I am doing okay without the Petromalt. They are also free-run house buns so they get plently of exercise.
I do also give pellets, but have often wondered if I give too much/enough. Each of my buns weigh approx 1.5 kilograms. What would the correct amount be?
Oh, and if I was to give pineapple and/or papaya, how much would be appropriate and how often?

Oxbow do some Papaya tablets that you can give to them as there is no added sugar.

During a heavy moult I give mine pineapple juice (freshly cut and squeeze), approx 10ml per week - mind you mine are big, one weighs 4kg :roll:

Back