• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet has told me not to spay *UPDATE*

bolton babe

Warren Scout
So we all know about the Saga of Tinks spay, well it got moved to Thursday because the Vet was out.

Then this morning I get a phone call from the Vet receptionist telling me the vet wants to know why I want the rabbit spayed in the first place, put her with a castrated male and she'll be okay.

Now I was to understand that spayeing a rabbit who hasn't had babies can prevent womb cancer and stop the stress of fake pregnancies and nest building and also aggresiveness. So why is a vet telling me not to do it?

I told her it had been recommended to me by an RSPCA vet and she just said right I'll tell David (the vet) and get back to you.

Do I really want to go with these people now? Do I really NEED to put Tink through this operation?

I'm all confused again now. :cry:

Last edited:
I agree with the others, find another vet. Afterall you wouldn't want your bunney to be speyed by a vet who doesn't actually want to do the op!

Hannah :)

I would find another vet - your vet doesnt sound that knowledgable about rabbits if one of them was ever ill he might not be able to help - good luck

I wouldnt let as vet that advises that anywhere near any of my rabbits! :shock: What exactly do these vets do at uni??? :?

Thanks everyone

I'm still totally gobsmacked! She told me at first to put two females together to make sure they dont breed, I said I though a male and a female was the recommended pairing and she said well I suppose, if its a neutered male she'll be okay.

If she rings back I'm going to tell her I'll find a vet with more experience, if she doesn't I just wont turn up on Thursday!!

My goodness how confusing for you!! Either the vet hasn't a clue about bunnies or else he is a lazy :censored: who just can't be bothered doing it!! Surely to goodness they would avice you to have her spayed if it helps her in the long run??
I think you should defo take the advice on here and find a new vet who is more rabbit savvy x

Is there someone you can report vet to? Or print off internet? Just thinking about vets future patients:cry::roll:

Find another vet. That one obviously knows naff all about bunnies if they don't think spaying is necessary. Even if you could pursuade him to do it I wouldn't bother as you don't know competent he will be if he doesn't do them.

What a :censored: idiot!

After a week of two and froing, a have an answer phone message from the vet himself saying:

Although the RSPA are keen to have any animal spayed, I'm not sure its a good idea. If you only have one rabbit you sre better to get a castrated male as it is a cheaper, easier and much more straightforward operation. Spaying is risky and I'd rather not do it when it isn't necessary which in this case it is not.

:censored: idiot. If he'd have taken the time to speak to me properly he would have been told that there is no way I'm putting a male rabbit in with Tink when she is so terratorial and agressive at the minute! I can't see why if the RSPCA and EVERY other rescue/care site I have been on are telling you to do it, why he in his wisdom is saying not to!!!

If I were you, I would definitely change vets - yes any op is 'risky' but many accomplished vets do lots of spays without problems so it sounds as if he's not experienced enough to do it regularly without complications. It also sounds as if he hasn't done enough of them to have seen cancers/pre-cancerous changes in bunnies to realise the high incidence of this.

Still, better to find out now than when she's already in for surgery!

If I were you, I would definitely change vets - yes any op is 'risky' but many accomplished vets do lots of spays without problems so it sounds as if he's not experienced enough to do it regularly without complications. It also sounds as if he hasn't done enough of them to have seen cancers/pre-cancerous changes in bunnies to realise the high incidence of this.

Still, better to find out now than when she's already in for surgery!

Well thats just it, all this comes when she was supposed to have to operation on the 6th :shock:

Ive booked her in to Pet Medics animal hospital now anyway, Kay from the local bunny rescue centre has her buns spayed there so hopefully they are gonna know what they are doing!

This really frightens me. If doctors were this ineducated about the third most common illness (stupid example i know, but u see what i mean) they would be struck off. They don't seem to realise that buns are as important as humans to some people!! :roll:

Jeez some Vets should be forced to update their knowledge of the animals they are likely to have to treat :evil:

What a complete Muppet :censored:

Sending vibes for your girlies spay

xx

Back