• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

General rabbit health

lunar6769

Alpha Buck
I have been getting a bit worried by all the scary stories on here about rabbit illnesses. It is a very supportive and informative site but it has freaked me out a bit recently.

I am so worried every morning going out to see Miffy and Fluffy in case there is something wrong with them and I am getting a bit obsessed with if they look okay and stuff.

Is it possible to have healthy and okay rabbits for a long time or do they all get ill at some time?

Our Nibbles had myxi (poor rescue bun) and survived it but was stolen by a fox not long after he got better. :(

Yes Rabbits can live long and healthy lives :)
But because they are prey animals they are very good at hiding signs of illness until they are very poorly.

There are things you can do to try to make sure your Buns remain well :

Feed a diet based on 80%-90% Hay
Neuter
Vaccinate (Myxomatosis and VHD)- Your Vet should carry out a thorough health check before giving a vaccination. Thus your Rabbit will have a 'MOT' at least 3 times a year.
Become familiar with what is 'normal' for your Rabbit with regards to eating, drinking, pooing, weeing and general behaviour.
Exercise-being a 'hutch potato' is not healthy !!
Ensure that your Rabbit's accomodation is clean and dry at all times.
Monitor you Rabbits poo output. An early sign of a health problem is a reduction in gut motility (small poos/fewer poos)
Monitor your Rabbits weight. Unexplained weightloss is another sign of a health problem.
If you think your Rabbit is just 'not right' consult your Vet. The 'wait and see' approach is seldom appropriate with Rabbits

I am so sorry to hear of the poor Bun taken by a Fox :cry:

rabbits really are like children you just never know when their going to be ill. but the important thing is your looking out for bad signs and with rabbits it really does mean alot to catch things early. but it's okay help is at hand here on this site and with vets. if it hadn't have been for RU i would never have known to get ralph onto the oxygen, they saved his life. :)

Yes, rabbits can live perfectly healthy and I have to say (touch wood/my head) that most of my bunnies don't really have any health problems at all! My oldest, Benji, is 10 1/2 years old and only ever had treatment for a small abscess about 10 years ago, nothing else since. None of my current bunnies (6) have any health problems at all and have never had (they are up to 5 years old).

Yes, of course, bunnies can get sick like any living creature and it is something you have to be prepared for, but if you observe basic good care and diet, then you minimise that risk! :D

Vera

Thank you for your replies. We are lucky to have a good vet and they are very well looked after - another delivery from the Hay experts this morning for £50!! :lol:

So I suppose as long as we do everything for them to have a happy life no matter what comes along they will have had lots of love and care - which is the main thing. :)

Our Revel is 9 years old and has never had a days illness :) He is seen 3 times a year for vaccinations and a health check and that is all he has ever needed.

I know what you mean about reading so many stories on here about ill health scaring people. I have actually said that myself, that if I was thinking about getting rabbits reading a lot of the threads on here would put me off completely.

I do post a lot of threads about poorly bunnies as we only take in elderly and sick rabbits so you don't need to take any notice of my sick ones :lol:

Remember that this forum has a lot of members, some of whom have a lot of rabbits.

Since many people only post when their rabbit has a health problem, it probably seems like rabbits are ill all the time...but think of the hundreds or thousands of rabbits owned by members which are perfectly fit and healthy! :D

Back