• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training advice!

Just_Kazzy

Young Bun
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on what to try next, my two youngest buns just won't use their litter tray!! I've put it in the corner they like to use, put lovely hay on it, put some dirty shavings on the top etc. and the wee next to it! I've tried different types of tray like the corner one, and a cat litter tray nope doesn't make a difference!! They will lie and sleep in the tray but not wee or poop in it!

What else can I try?

Karen

i would try a bigger litter tray, Alvin had a corner one when he was a baby and he would wee in there but as he got bigger it was hard to fit his bum in.

i got a underbed storage box and they have no choice but to jump in to munch then ;)

when i changed Alvins cage to be bigger he refused to pee where i put the litter tray so i had to place one where he did wee as well as the original one... seemed to do the trick :D they like to pee where they choose i think

I've found that once you know where they pee, if you leave a tray there for them to pee in then after a while they associate the tray with peeing rather than the place and so you can then put the tray where you like...

Bunnies seem stubbornly particular about their toileting habits.

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on what to try next, my two youngest buns just won't use their litter tray!! I've put it in the corner they like to use, put lovely hay on it, put some dirty shavings on the top etc. and the wee next to it! I've tried different types of tray like the corner one, and a cat litter tray nope doesn't make a difference!! They will lie and sleep in the tray but not wee or poop in it!

What else can I try?

Karen

Are they neutered? This does affect litter training reliability!

Back