• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnys and rain - i have a rain hating bunny - what to do!!

beki

Mama Doe
why does the weather have to be so awful! it is raining, ruby doesn't like the rain, she just hides in the corner of the run and i feel so sorry for her i have to take her out. She sulks in her hutch in the rain, she doesn't like it being covered over and when i am at work or at night and it rains i comeback to find her all wet (as she insists on sitting right by the door most of the time, silly bunny). So i bring her for a play indoors, after about 20 minutes my boyfriend starts to moan that she is trying to eat the plaster off the walls/ is getting to boistrous and chasing the cats/is peeing on the carpet/is pulling paint off the doors, so poor ruby gets turfed back out again! how are we going to cope in the winter! hopefully by then the kitchen will be done and she can be shut in there to play and not get up to mischief (im having it refitted).

Does anyone else have a rain hating bunny and what do you do?

I think i am going to have to build her some sort of shelter around her hutch before the winter or she is going to get wet :( a shed is not an option, the only flat bit of garden i have is the patio and if i put a shed on it there would be no patio. the grass is sloped. I am thinking of some sort of large run with the hutch in the middle and i am wondering about a perspex roof or something! i ahve to admit i honestly didn't consider the winter. My old rabbit i had when i was young, we lived in a bungalow and the fascia bits on the roof really overhung so he wasnt; too exposed. I am sure i get more rain here! maybe it is becasue i am on a hill.

Hmmm, well I have 2 normal bunnies, 1 that doesn't even care (I have to get him in myself before he gets a cold :lol:) but I do have 1 that doesn't seem to like the rain much so I put a cover over the run or put him in the hutch. Why not try putting a cover on top of the run so she doesn't get much rain on her and she doesn't have be covered up much.
Hope this helps. :):)

We have 3 of our 4 outdoor hutches under a sheltered run, we have a plastic shed roofing on the run, with a cement floor...The run is big enough for us to fit in easily (7ft tall, 8ft long and 6ft wide) and we alternate who goes in there, which thankfully is only temporary until our babies are neutered.
Ours just love the rain, we have covers that we use when it's raining that cover 3/4s of the walls, leaving a little bit of open air at the bottom, they ALWAYS sit where they know they can get wet, I think they kinda like it though:lol:

Mine all have perspex roofs on their runs as they sit out in them all the time, and a few of them would get drenched given the chance

Mine hate the rain and just find a comfortable spot in a sheltered part of their hutch or run and settle down until it stops raining. I leave them alone as it rarely seems to rain two evenings in a row. Then I let them out to free range the following evening.
Lots of binkies when I let them out for a run round the garden later :D

Back