• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

penicillin to treat abcess

coco1200

Warren Veteran
has any bun on here had penicillin injections to treat an abcess? how well did they respond to the treatment?

Success depends on what bacteria caused the abscess, the location of the abscess, and how quickly treatment is started.

I have a bun who had two facial abscesses removed and started on penicillin treatment within a few days of the abscess appearing, and he has been abscess free for a few months now :D

Some pencillins aren't recommend for use in rabbits because they can cause an overgrowth of clostridium in the guts (these are ampicillins and amoxicillins)

thank you, has helped!

Is everything ok Jan? :? xXx
Sorry Becky, didn't get a chance to mention it to you yesterday. Noisette has an abcess on her right hind leg... the vet can only think the cuase is that she twisted it. She might be starting penicillin tomorrow to treat it though. On top of it, she's in statis and pumped full of meds. She's on temgesic pain relief (opiate narcotic) so I can't see it helping her gi tract :(
Its constant with her, she is always ill.

thank you, has helped!

Sorry Becky, didn't get a chance to mention it to you yesterday. Noisette has an abcess on her right hind leg... the vet can only think the cuase is that she twisted it. She might be starting penicillin tomorrow to treat it though. On top of it, she's in statis and pumped full of meds. She's on temgesic pain relief (opiate narcotic) so I can't see it helping her gi tract :(

Sorry to hear shes not well Janak.....no advice on the penecillin I'm afraid,the 2 buns with abcesses Ive had were always treated with baytril .....hope she is better soon.x

thank you, has helped!

Gah im sorry Jan :( What a thing to come home to... hope your little girl will be ok, sending lots of vibes for her xXx

As AMS says how effective the Penicillin is would depend on the bacteria involved and also how closed off the abscess is. The walls of Rabbit abscesses are extremely thick and lacking in good vascular supply to deliver the abx to the core of the infection.

Usually surgical intervention is needed at the earliest opportunity in order to remove both the abscess capsule and also any necrotic or infected tissue surrounding it. Unfortunately more often than not systemic abx alone are not effective in 'curing' an abscess. Also, if the abscess is very near to bone the infection can spread into the bone causing osteomyelitis.

Getting a culture from the abscess wall would also help identify the most suitable abx to prescribe.

In my experience aggressive treatment (surgical and systemic abx) at the earliest opportunity offers the best chance of a good outcome.

I hope Noisette will be OK :cry:

I'm treating a rabbit with an abscess at the moment, as well as an op, drainging the abscess twice a day and injecting an antibiotic, I am also putting manuka honey into the abscess. Not sure how successful this will be on a leg wound- bit messy, but might be worth a try.

Bella had a three month course of penicillin injections every other day after her third abscess and so far so good, she has now been abscess free for 6 months which is the longest time since we've had her.

Hope Noisette will be okay :)

My Squishy had an abcess behind her eye and we treated that with Baytril. It took a while to work, but when it did she recovered really quickly :)

Back