• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nino off colour today...

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Nino is a bit out of sorts today.... we had an 'off his food' moment earlier on this morning - so sudden! He frightens me when he does this. He's not had a stasis/bloat episode *touch wood* since early Spring and that was the first time in over a year.

He was bright as a button earlier, raced out into the garden with me, supervised my hutch cleaning from the back doorstep whilst munching a manky old mallow leaf that had fallen off the mallow tree :roll: nothing unusual there, and ignored my calls to come in as he was busy grazing the lawn...then raced backupstairs to the sitting room. 5 mins later he was showing signs of abdo pain and turned his nose up at a fresh handful of green oat hay! :shock: Now THAT is not right....jumped out the tray and went and stretched his abdomen out again. His tummy is a bit flinchy, I gave him a tummy rub (and got some bite marks in my arm for my trouble - he's a biter:roll:) and a half dose of metacam and plonked him back in the tray. Second tummy rub - and then he started to eat his hay....phew!! I've kept him eating for about half an hour now solidly....hay, herbs, dried marigolds - he's done plenty of droppings, all normal, he hadn't stopped before with the droppings, just abdo pain....not hypothermic....a bit warm if anything....cooled his ears down....this humid weather is not good for him I think, he munched another load of hay and seems brighter now. We're meant to be at the vet this avo for Myxi boosters and check up!!! .....still, if he's going to go off colour i'd rather it be today when we're seeing our vet....not sure i'll do the Myxi now, we're not in a high risk area and they're only just due a 6 monthly booster....might get Poppy's VHD done instead and just have Mackie check Nino over.... and do the Mxyi in 2 weeks, had forgotton what a worry my bloaty bunny can be! :(

Nino is a bit out of sorts today.... we had an 'off his food' moment earlier on this morning - so sudden! He frightens me when he does this. He's not had a stasis/bloat episode *touch wood* since early Spring and that was the first time in over a year.

He was bright as a button earlier, raced out into the garden with me, supervised my hutch cleaning from the back doorstep whilst munching a manky old mallow leaf that had fallen off the mallow tree :roll: nothing unusual there, and ignored my calls to come in as he was busy grazing the lawn...then raced backupstairs to the sitting room. 5 mins later he was showing signs of abdo pain and turned his nose up at a fresh handful of green oat hay! :shock: Now THAT is not right....jumped out the tray and went and stretched his abdomen out again. His tummy is a bit flinchy, I gave him a tummy rub (and got some bite marks in my arm for my trouble - he's a biter:roll:) and a half dose of metacam and plonked him back in the tray. Second tummy rub - and then he started to eat his hay....phew!! I've kept him eating for about half an hour now solidly....hay, herbs, dried marigolds - he's done plenty of droppings, all normal, he hadn't stopped before with the droppings, just abdo pain....not hypothermic....a bit warm if anything....cooled his ears down....this humid weather is not good for him I think, he munched another load of hay and seems brighter now. We're meant to be at the vet this avo for Myxi boosters and check up!!! .....still, if he's going to go off colour i'd rather it be today when we're seeing our vet....not sure i'll do the Myxi now, we're not in a high risk area and they're only just due a 6 monthly booster....might get Poppy's VHD done instead and just have Mackie check Nino over.... and do the Mxyi in 2 weeks, had forgotton what a worry my bloaty bunny can be! :(

Awwwww maybe he had a bit of trapped gas which was relieved by your tummy rubs. Although his idea of showing appreciation for your efforts to help him leaves alot to be desired !! :roll:

I hope he will now remain in 'tummy OK' mode :wave:

Awwwww maybe he had a bit of trapped gas which was relieved by your tummy rubs. Although his idea of showing appreciation for your efforts to help him leaves alot to be desired !! :roll:

I hope he will now remain in 'tummy OK' mode :wave:

Awww thanks Jane....yes that's what I thought too....he gets it so suddenly it's frightening but especially because it has been so long since the last episode....he seems quite normal now....phew! He's a horrible bitey bunny! :roll::lol: i'm just kidding....but he really does have terrible aggression when being held....sweetness and light the rest of the time :angel:
I remember an emergency phone call to my vet years ago who got very cross with me telling me I NEEDED to rub his tummy....I felt like saying...you come and do it then mate! :lol:
Actually I think on this occasion it was tender....poor bun.
I'd be interested in what you think about getting his jab done today....he seems fine now....i'm hesitant....?? I'm a bit wary of vaccinations on a bun underparr or recently been underparr....but it's August and wet and they are due....(although they do get them 6 monthly!) Why is it when it's MY bun that I don't have all the answers! :oops:
Objective opinion welcome :D

Sorry to hear Nino is off colour today, sounds like he just stops eating as quickly as Biscuit, such a worry.

Oops naughty bunny taking a chunk out of your arm.

Glad to hear he is munching on his hay for his mum.

Clare xx

Might be worth ringing the vet and seeing what they advise. They may say to delay it for a couple of days, which won't cause any trouble.

Thanks guys, sorry for delay, he's absolutely fine...must have just been a bit of gass....methinks the rather large and yellowed mallow leaf!! Although he does pick those off the lawn quite often....they are safe...just a bit oldl! :roll:
We didn't do his Myxi in the end anyway just to be safe, just Poppy, Mackie checked him over...nothing wrong in his tum at all....if I hadn't mentioned it he said he wouldn't have known. He also thought a bit of gas, esp with his history.

Clare... I'm so HAPPY Mackie is back! :D He's locuming Fareham and Portsmouth just July and Aug (I was so lucky to get him....one day in Fareham only) then back to SA then back here again Dec/Jan - so if you take Biccy in routinely Aug, Dec or Jan - see if you can get him or Anthony rather than that useless vet you saw! It's SO good to have him back....I told him that! :D:lol:

Thanks guys, sorry for delay, he's absolutely fine...must have just been a bit of gass....methinks the rather large and yellowed mallow leaf!! Although he does pick those off the lawn quite often....they are safe...just a bit oldl! :roll:
We didn't do his Myxi in the end anyway just to be safe, just Poppy, Mackie checked him over...nothing wrong in his tum at all....if I hadn't mentioned it he said he wouldn't have known. He also thought a bit of gas, esp with his history.

Clare... I'm so HAPPY Mackie is back! :D He's locuming Fareham and Portsmouth just July and Aug (I was so lucky to get him....one day in Fareham only) then back to SA then back here again Dec/Jan - so if you take Biccy in routinely Aug, Dec or Jan - see if you can get him or Anthony rather than that useless vet you saw! It's SO good to have him back....I told him that! :D:lol:

Yeah for Mackie :D
Well we should be paying Mackie or Anothony a visit soon, Biscuit's claws are getting long (incapable of cutting them ourselves) and we need some more Zantac and metacam so need to speak to one of them. :wave:

Yeah for Mackie :D
Well we should be paying Mackie or Anothony a visit soon, Biscuit's claws are getting long (incapable of cutting them ourselves) and we need some more Zantac and metacam so need to speak to one of them. :wave:

Good idea....I expect only those two will let you have it at home as they know Biccy's history and you. Clare if you like I could pop down sometime....say Hi and help you with Biccy's nails?!:D PM me :D
(Poor Mackie...looks tired and older...but I still think he's... :love: :lol:)

Back