• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conservatory

Joh619

Alpha Buck
Hey up,

I'm fairly sure it's not a good idea to keep bunnies in a conservatory in the summer as it gets pretty warm in there. However, as it's been really horrible weather here these last few weeks I've been taking Nora and Walter inside so they can have a bit of a run around. It's a pretty massive conservatory, but we don't really use it for anything.

What I was wondering was, would it be ok to keep them in there permanently during the winter? There's a radiator in there so it wouldn't get too cold, and its north-west facing so shouldn't really get that much sun. It's nowhere near as hot as the conservtory in my last house that was south facing!!

I used to keep my two dwarf lops in my mum and dad's conservatory when I was a kid during the winter, but then again, in those winters you could guarantee it would be cold, nowerdays you might get a shock heat wave or something so I would be slightly cautious.

Sophie & Otis are in our conservatory over the winter. They have a heater in there and it doesn't get much sun so doesn't get too warm in there

I've got a run that i can put out in the garden (when it's not actually raining!!!) so was thinking of maybe either just putting it up in the conservatory, or putting a bit of it across the kitchen door so that I can leave it open and it should ventilate the conservatory whatever the temperature.

That might make my house cold when it's chilly though :)

I could just leave them outside, but I just can't imagine they'll have that much time in their run as I'll have to put them back in their hutch when it gets dark at about 5 lol :( At the moment they're out from about 8 in the morning until 10 at night.

I think it would be fine as long as you have some blinds for hot and sunny days, and you move them out in the summer :):wave:
Our house buns spend most of their time in our sitting room which is south facing with huge french windows! Hottest room in the house - on top of this it is 2nd floor with a sharp drop - the balcony bars are much wider than my tiny rabbits...so we have to keep the curtains closed a lot, even in winter, if the sun is out, and have a wire mesh to slot in if we open the window to stop them falling out! On cold days they love to sunbathe on a blanket if front of the window....you just have to be careful they don't cook!
But a north-west facing conservatory I think would be fine for winter - perfect in fact - you may need a heater though as you suggest.

I used to keep foster buns in ours in winter. It was south facing but they could still be in it from around late october to early feb. I think if it is north facing you could probably extend that to early march which would be perfect for putting them out during the day and bringing them back in the evening to get them used to cold again.

Hey up,

I'm fairly sure it's not a good idea to keep bunnies in a conservatory in the summer as it gets pretty warm in there. However, as it's been really horrible weather here these last few weeks I've been taking Nora and Walter inside so they can have a bit of a run around. It's a pretty massive conservatory, but we don't really use it for anything.

What I was wondering was, would it be ok to keep them in there permanently during the winter? There's a radiator in there so it wouldn't get too cold, and its north-west facing so shouldn't really get that much sun. It's nowhere near as hot as the conservtory in my last house that was south facing!!

we used to have a conservatory but we removed it! It was far to warm in the summer and far too cold in the winter! there was aprrox 3/4 months of the year that is was 'okay'.

The one we had at our last house was tiny, but we kept a thermometer in there and it broke at 52 degrees :( The conservatory in this house is massive (the width of the house) so we can actually use it, and as I said it's cooler in the summer and has heating in it for the winter :)

There's already blinds in there, so shouldn't be any problem with bunnies being in direct sunlight. Thanks for all the replies :)

Back