• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for chewable things to stop the cardboard attack!

JoLB

Warren Scout
Please can you give me some more ideas as to what I can give my rabbits to chew, to try and stop them chewing cardboard.
They already have toys, a wooden block, a wooden bendy thing (that you can bend into tunnels...not sure of the name!), various grass and hay (they definitely prefer the grass!).
They sometimes have the toys from the petshop that hang up, with big chewable blocks on.
Oh and they like to try and take their hutch apart so chew that too! :roll: :D

My bun loves to chew cardboard as well. Not a lot, so I'm hoping it won't affect him too much.

I've been able to deter him using thin willow sticks (local willow tree) if that helps. He won't touch the bigger ones, but spends a good 10 minutes on the small ones, giving enough time for me to hide the cardboard :D

What about Chubes?
They are like cardboard but are a biodegradeable vegetable parchment so i think better for buns.
Or the hay n hide rolls?

I don't think my bun gets that he can chew his Chube :lol: He runs through it all the time, but it doesn't have a single chew mark on it.

Do you know anyone with an apple tree? If you scrounge some branches the buns will love to eat the leaves then strip the bark off x

I'd go for fresh wood toys - pet shop ones tend to be very old and dried wood that has lost its scent - buns go on smell quite a lot when it comes to eating things. I would recommend fresh willow toys, seagrass toys, waterhyacinth, and best of all as has already been suggested....fresh safe fruit tree twigs and branches...willow, hazel, apple and pear trees....even the tough stem of a giant cardoon plant if your bun fancies a challenge! :)

thanks for your suggestions! I am hoping my mum and dad still have an apple tree. I know they had a plum one...is that safe?

NO not plum sorry. Any fruit with a stone is NOT safe....plum, nectarine, peach, cherry etc.
Apple and pear, hazel and willow.....hazel grows in quite a few hedgrows in the countryside....ask someone who knows (it has nuts on at the moment as it is summer!):wave:

Thank you! Was going to go to the pet shop today (my only day off!) and see what else I could get.....and the road has been closed :roll: so can't go!

Back