• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Great opportunity for bunnies

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I can't believe today's news. "Someone" is so fascinated by Thumper that he's going to visit us when next in Swindon. Now Thumper is just like your buns. Great personality, & very bright.
The "someone" is the professor of the medical research council unit for psychiatry in Oxford. Goodness they are such lovely, caring people & the nurse is wonderful with animals too. They DON'T use animals there.
But Prof meets academics from all over Europe.
I'm so hoping that his personal observations will help to get the word round researchers that rabbits should not be used as experimental animals.
It's not until Sept 15th. Please can we have loads of prayers for success?

Oooooooo goodness Judy that sounds really exciting if not a little daunting.
Mind you I dont suppose Thumps will be too bothered as long as the Prof' behaves himself :lol:

Oooooooo goodness Judy that sounds really exciting if not a little daunting.
Mind you I dont suppose Thumps will be too bothered as long as the Prof' behaves himself :lol:

Thanks Jane. He's actually the most gentle "gentleman" & so approachable.
But yes, I am daunted.
Thumper has his rest in the afternoon, but usually livens up for a visitor. He doesn't "do tricks" he's just himself, likes people & often "asks" to play etc - I translate.

This sounds really odd. Are you sure this is genuine Thumps?? My concerns are your safety.

Having worked for years in Psychiatry in Oxford, I cannot imagine anyone from there visiting a rabbit out of town. They just need to go to the other University Departments, where they have poor bunnies they are experimenting on.

This sounds really odd. Are you sure this is genuine Thumps?? My concerns are your safety.

Having worked for years in Psychiatry in Oxford, I cannot imagine anyone from there visiting a rabbit out of town. They just need to go to the other University Departments, where they have poor bunnies they are experimenting on.

You will have heard of Prof Phillip Cowan. He has a dual role of seeing some patients & "neurosciences research". I'm briefly acquainted with him & spoke a lot about Thumper. Goodness knows how we got on that subject but I couldn't stop talking about him at the time. One of the unit research nurses visits me sometimes. Thumper has a very good communication system - the complexity of his thinking fascinates Prof. the unit gets updates from time to time. They're down here anyway, & they're both going to pop in, so Prof can see for himself. I'm daunted because I've cognitive problems following a subarachnoid. I'm also exhausted from sewer flooding 17 times in 4 years& an ongoing battle to have it stopped. It's OK I know the people concerned.

Judy I think this sounds like a very exciting and promising encounter for Thumper and you....I just hope you are well rested and stress free when they visit so you can enjoy showing you lovely bunny off :D:wave:
I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will be a turning point in the way medical research views rabbits :):wave:

Back