• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating?

GBNI

Warren Scout
Adrian bun normally goes mad for his pellets. Both him and Joey are fed twice a day.

I fed Adrian this morning as usual and then took Joey to get neutured (he's home and fine, apparently his number 1 priority when he came round was to eat :roll:)

But Adrian hasn't eaten his pellets or the apple I left him. Could it be he was worried about Joey?

They aren't bonded yet but do talk through their little fence everyday. I showed Adrian that Joey was home and going to his hutch (obv.Joey isn't allowed out on grass)

I told the vet when I picked Joey up and she said if he hasn't eaten by tomorrow I've to take him in :(

I told the vet when I picked Joey up and she said if he hasn't eaten by tomorrow I've to take him in :(

No, if he hasn't eaten by this afternoon he needs to see a vet immediately. Tomorrow is FAR too late! I would take him now if he is still off his food and hasn't eaten all day. Is he pooing?

A small amount of grass is not enough really, how much has he pooed? I would keep a close eye on him today....encourage him to eat and drink - offer him some freshly washed veggies, fresh hay, encourage him to hop around a bit and get some exercise - this can improve gut function....if he's still not eating properly this evening I would want him assessed still tonight and possibly given some pain relief and fluids to tide him overnight....how are his teeth?

I have left his favourite treats in with his and moved his run to more fresh grass.

He always hops around if I go near him to make sure I don't catch him! :lol:

His teeth are fine, I gave him a check yesterday. He did struggle and jump out of my arms yesterday afternoon, but he ate his dinner last night and can hop and jump ok, so I don't think he has injured himself as he didn't jump far.
If he hasn't eaten by the vets evening surgery I will take him tonight.

Hi there

Is is sitting in an unusual place, or sitting hunched up like a cat?

Is his tummy making weird noises.

Will he take any food from you when offered?

P.S if there is a problem with teeth you will probably not be able to see it, Biscuit had tiny spurs on her back teeth.

He is sitting in his normal place that he likes and is alternating between lying stretched out and squigded up.

He won't let me listen to his tummy :roll:

He never eats food out of my hand, he prefers it out of his bowl

I have left his favourite treats in with his and moved his run to more fresh grass.

He always hops around if I go near him to make sure I don't catch him! :lol:

His teeth are fine, I gave him a check yesterday. He did struggle and jump out of my arms yesterday afternoon, but he ate his dinner last night and can hop and jump ok, so I don't think he has injured himself as he didn't jump far.
If he hasn't eaten by the vets evening surgery I will take him tonight.

Unfortunately, the only way to assess a rabbit's back teeth (molar) teeth is at the vet as they have experience in what they are looking for and will use an otoscope to look to the back of the mouth that you can't see just with your eyes alone. Even then an Xray is the only true way to assess all teeth properly.
He could have molar spurs that are making it painful for him to eat...this is a common reason buns go off their food.
It could be something else....either way, a bun not eating enough will cause his GI tract to slow down and this will put him at risk of GI stasis which is very serious and can be fatal. You need to watch his faecal output and make sure he is doing lots of droppings of normal size. Yes, if he's still not eating properly this afternoon he will need to see a vet this evening. Keep tempting him with some fresh greens meanwhile - fresh herbs are very good for this such as basil, mint, parsley, thyme...
Buns not eating much also can get cold quickly - so you will need to make sure he is warm enough - it is a mild day, but I wouldn't let him get too damp and cold. Good luck :)

He is sitting in his normal place that he likes and is alternating between lying stretched out and squigded up.

He won't let me listen to his tummy :roll:

He never eats food out of my hand, he prefers it out of his bowl

Oh bless him

If stretched out and relaxed I wouldn't worry so much as if he was hunched up.

Try tempting him with some fresh herbs/hay/dandillions (sp)

He is alternating between lying stretched out and squigded up.

Is he getting up and lying down frequently as if he is in discomfort? This can be a sign of gas in a bloated abdomen.....are his eyes wide with pain when he does this, or closed in comfort like a normal sleepy bunny?

Unfortunately, the only way to assess a rabbit's back teeth (molar) teeth is at the vet as they have experience in what they are looking for and will use an otoscope to look to the back of the mouth that you can't see just with your eyes alone. Even then an Xray is the only true way to assess all teeth properly.
He could have molar spurs that are making it painful for him to eat...this is a common reason buns go off their food.
It could be something else....either way, a bun not eating enough will cause his GI tract to slow down and this will put him at risk of GI stasis which is very serious and can be fatal. You need to watch his faecal output and make sure he is doing lots of droppings of normal size. Yes, if he's still not eating properly this afternoon he will need to see a vet this evening. Keep tempting him with some fresh greens meanwhile - fresh herbs are very good for this such as basil, mint, parsley, thyme...
Buns not eating much also can get cold quickly - so you will need to make sure he is warm enough - it is a mild day, but I wouldn't let him get too damp and cold. Good luck :)

Hi Vicky :wave:

All very good advice, Vicky has been a god sent especially when Biscuit was ill.

His eyes are just normal? He was out and hopping around then and was hopping and climibing up against the wall ok, like he usually does.

I have given him apple, banana, lots of long grass and one of those treat bars you clip onto the cage as he loves them. He is too busy exploring the new run layout though.

He did eat his dinner ok last night, super quickly as always.

I keep running in and out to see what he is doing, I'm sure he's fed up looking at me!

His eyes are just normal? He was out and hopping around then and was hopping and climibing up against the wall ok, like he usually does.

I have given him apple, banana, lots of long grass and one of those treat bars you clip onto the cage as he loves them. He is too busy exploring the new run layout though.

He did eat his dinner ok last night, super quickly as always.

I keep running in and out to see what he is doing, I'm sure he's fed up looking at me!

Buns need to eat CONSTANTLY to keep their guts moving, 12 hours without food is risky....so supper last night although great...is not what matters now - you need to be thinking has he eaten in the last few hours as normal?

His hayrack was full last night too, he emptied that overnight/this morning

I am phoning the vets now to get him an appointment tonight, I will let you know what they say.

Back