• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just saved Vinnie from another bout of stasis

So sorry to hear he's been in stasis again. I know that awful feeling "Will he get out of it this time", too well.
So glad he's come through it. I can't tell you why it happens to dear little Vinny, there's no reason for Alvin either, I know the things which can put Thumps into stasis. I'm so lucky to get warning signs - at least 24hours.

So sorry to hear he's been in stasis again. I know that awful feeling "Will he get out of it this time", too well.
So glad he's come through it. I can't tell you why it happens to dear little Vinny, there's no reason for Alvin either, I know the things which can put Thumps into stasis. I'm so lucky to get warning signs - at least 24hours.

He only had it last week,then again today :(

All i keep thinking about is what happened to Claude:( Its nearly a year since i lost him and i cant bare to loose Vinnie aswell:cry:

Bobby used to get it a lot, and his was down to a parasitic infection in his gut. We had no idea it was there, but it was something he'd got from his Mum. He'd been wormed and all that jazz, but it was something that was there to stay. Unfortunately, it got too much for him, and he ended up being PTS as a result of it, and the brain damage it caused in the end :cry::cry: He wasn't even 2 years old :(

He only had it last week,then again today :(

In which case it's probably the same bout still lingering around. Ileus can persist for several weeks - if the treatment is not continued for several days to get gut function back up to speed....it can unfortunately come back again within the week or the week after. Some buns get a 'one-off' bout and seem to respond to immediate meds and no more....but buns susceptible to stasis IMO benefit from ongoing meds for several days 'after' the event. This is what we do with our stasis bunny.....he has his gut motility agents and pain relief for up to 3 days after an episode has cleared up....in order to achieve normal gut function and prevent the ileus/stasis coming back. Some bunnies seem to need more of a 'kick' to reestablish normal gut function that's all....it's probably to do with neuro innervation of the smooth muscle of the gut. What I have suggested isn't suitable for every bunny....but may be appropriate for 'prone' bunnies....it has certainly worked for ours, and on the one occasion we stopped the drugs as soon as he was better he had a relapse....our vet said we stopped too soon....for this reason he recommends to keep going with the metclopramide and zantac and metacam for several days 'after' bunny is better in these prone cases. I hope that helps a bit. :)

In which case it's probably the same bout still lingering around. Ileus can persist for several weeks - if the treatment is not continued for several days to get gut function back up to speed....it can unfortunately come back again within the week or the week after. Some buns get a 'one-off' bout and seem to respond to immediate meds and no more....but buns susceptible to stasis IMO benefit from ongoing meds for several days 'after' the event. This is what we do with our stasis bunny.....he has his gut motility agents and pain relief for up to 3 days after an episode has cleared up....in order to achieve normal gut function and prevent the ileus/stasis coming back. Some bunnies seem to need more of a 'kick' to reestablish normal gut function that's all....it's probably to do with neuro innervation of the smooth muscle of the gut. What I have suggested isn't suitable for every bunny....but may be appropriate for 'prone' bunnies....it has certainly worked for ours, and on the one occasion we stopped the drugs as soon as he was better he had a relapse....our vet said we stopped too soon....for this reason he recommends to keep going with the metclopramide and zantac and metacam for several days 'after' bunny is better in these prone cases. I hope that helps a bit. :)

this is what i did with Alvin, i got some gut stimulant tablets and metacam from the vets to home treat until i was confident his poops were big enough and he was flowing ok again... i think i felt safe enough to stop after about 4 days and so far so good.

i now also give pineapple juice every other day just incase it really does work

i hope Vinnie feels better soon hun xxxx

He is on Zantac everyday anyway:?

He is on Zantac everyday anyway:?

That only empties the hindgut and helps the tummy possibly....although as Thumps has suggested to me in the past....lowering gastric acidity in rabbits 'may' and this is only hypothetical....'may' not be a good thing as the acidity is possibly there to kill off any ingested bacteria from environment as the balance of the caecal flora is 'very' sensitive and highly important. Caecal dysbiosis can lead to stasis. I would make sure he has a diet high in fibre as a starting point. :) I actually agree with Thumps's hypothesising here....Judy has a good point. Balancing caecal flora is crucial....zantac daily 'may' make the caecum more open to ingested bacteria....this is just us lot guessing though....:?

That only empties the hindgut and helps the tummy possibly....although as Thumps has suggested to me in the past....lowering gastric acidity in rabbits 'may' and this is only hypothetical....'may' not be a good thing as the acidity is possibly there to kill off any ingested bacteria from environment as the balance of the caecal flora is 'very' sensitive and highly important. Caecal dysbiosis can lead to stasis. I would make sure he has a diet high in fibre as a starting point. :) I actually agree with Thumps's hypothesising here....Judy has a good point. Balancing caecal flora is crucial....zantac daily 'may' make the caecum more open to ingested bacteria....this is just us lot guessing though....:?

Well i thought it was because id stopped the Zantac for a couple of days because he had been doing well,that the stasis happened?

Hi Bluebunny - have you seen the last update on Pringles' current thread - the advice from Edinburgh? May give you hope.

Back