• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A New Home For Eddison =( U/D NEVER! U/D What do I say?

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I have been having terrible luck with the rabbit rescues near me. I only know of 2 within a 50 mile radius, and one of them was just terrible when I visited. The other I haven't visited, but they always take over two weeks to reply to an e-mail I send, and the reply is generic and only vaguely answered my questions.

I put Eddison on a type of freecycle thing, with very angry instructions that he would need someone who knows rabbits and has plenty of time and would need to provide a certain cage size and fresh veggies etc. I got this as a reply today:

"Hello!
I have a mini bunny rescue that I run from my house (no, I am not a 501c). I currently have 8 bunnies that I have rescued and some have been severely neglected. I do NOT rehome these bunnies or adopt them out. They are MY PETS forever. Under no circumstances would I ever let one of my buns go. Therefore, your bunny would have a forever home with me. I am 29 years old, and in all my life I have NEVER ever had to give away any animal that I've ever had (including dogs and cats).

I have a five bedroom house in Seattle. I currently keep some bunnies outside when it is warmer, but most of them inside with me. They usually have free roam of the house unless they "choose" otherwise. For example, I have a set of two love buns that consider the bathroom their home. They love it there.

I have an all organic garden that I feed my bunnies from daily. I am also growing a separate garden for them so that they can run around outside in the garden and eat and poop and eat and poop within a caged area. I also shop at our local Farmer's Market for fresh organic greens for my buns.

My bunnies are very spoiled. I drive to Cle Elum to buy a bale of hay and my husband is constantly making them cardboard houses that they love.

I spend my own money on these buns (I just had two fixed this week so that I can give them a mate) and I love them dearly. They are held and petter and talked to everyday and I would NEVER get rid of one under any circumstances. I have been bitten several times from some of my more timid guys but that just means that I have to love them even more.

I have a local vet that specializes in bunnies that I take mine to. They are aware that I take in neglected and unwanted bunnies (I know that this is NOT the case with you) and they are very helpful to me.
I promise you that Eddison would be well cared for and loved. You could even visit him also. I can also email updates and what not. I am college educated and work for my family law firm. I am also very close with the Seattle Animal Shelter bunny experts there for whenever I have a question. They know of my rescue and give me their bunnies that they cannot place anywhere else.

As you can see I have many bunny back-up people that I sometimes use for support for the well being of my bunnies.

Please let me know if you think that Eddison would do well at my house. He would stay in our bedroom for awhile to settle in and then I would slowly ease him into the rest of the house. I know that bunnies do very well with a mate so I would find a special girl that would love him as much as I do."

I never expected such a response off a freecycle thing! It really sounds wonderful to me, and I'm really excited to visit and see what the place is like. I hope that it might be a good place for Eddison to go. :cry:

Last edited:
she sounds really nice, the cynic in me thinks too good to be true :oops: but im sure once you meet and see how happy her buns are it wont hurt so much when you say good bye to Eddison.. *huuuuggggssss* i feel for you hun xxx

definatly do the homecheck though adn dont be afraid to ask about something that a)doesnt add up or b) isnt quite right it can sometimes be adjusted.. but sounds good lets hope its as good as it sounds and eddison has the right home there. xxx

Definitely go and see for yourself. But lets hope she's like lots of RUers, answers freecycle type adds because she genuinely loves bunnies and wants to save as many as possible from ending up in unsuitable homes :D

Good luck, I'm so hoping she's like us. Hey you might tell her about us if she's OK. Let us know how you get on.

Sounds fantastic,i hope it all works out. If you still have any doubts after the home check you could always speak to her vet for a sort of reference :)

Ask if you can go and meet her (not including your bunny). They if you like the place you can take him. Although it's two trips if she's horrid it's much easier to say you'll get back to her if he's not with you.

What a horrid horrid place!!

I went to visit a few hours ago to check the place out. I did bring Eddison, because it's hard for me to get a ride out that way, and if it worked out, I would have handed him over there and then.

To keep it short, their house was in some serious disrepair. Some of the house had plastic coverings all over it, and their yard was not well maintained. As I walked up the driveway to meet them in the back of the house, I heard the woman swearing at her children, "SHUT THE F*** UP!! JUST SHUT UP! FOR F***'S SAKE!!" The children are aged about 8 and 2. :evil:

They have several dogs, and one of them hopped the fence and jumped all over me. Then other kept trying to smell Eddison in his carrier, which I hugged close to my chest and as high up as possible. They did not mention having dogs and Eddison was terrified!!!

Then I got the grand :censored: tour. She had about 7 rabbits in the backyard. The cages were TWO FEET BY ONE FOOT BY ONE FOOT. WHAT THE :censored: IS THAT?!?! Sometimes there were two bunnies in a cage, and they had absolutely no room to move. She had two of them in a "run", which I would've considered too small to even BOND rabbits in, and one was neutered and one wasn't. The unneutered male was humping the female non-stop, and she seemed to find this hilarious. She asked her son to discourage the male, so he whacked the rabbit and scooped it up by its belly with one hand, gruffly handling him.

Inside she had about 3 more rabbits, in similarly horribly small cages. They all had water bottles made for gerbils, and the veggies she was feeding them were wilted and gross. She offered some to Eddison, but he snuffed it off!

I managed to keep a straight face and said that Eddison had a vet appointment this weekend, so I wanted to take him back for that first before handing him over. I have no idea what to say, but I would like to write an e-mail explaining all the things I found there that were appalling.

I am seriously considering contacting the RSPCA to investigate, because I don't know if that's right at all. It was just horrid. They were also smokers, which cannot be good for rabbits. :evil::evil:

I just feel absolutely sick and I couldn't believe that woman calls herself a "rescue". Those buns NEED rescuing!!!!

asdlkfjlkasdlkjfjalksdlgjalksdglasdnblaksdgnjag :censored::censored::censored:

I am sorry that you had this experience. Sadly there are people who say that they rescue animals, however they can only be described as 'animal hoarders' where many of the animals originated in better conditions prior to them being 'rescued'.

i had a horrible feeling she might be ahoarder, thank goodness u checked it out first, i know a lot of cages in the states are tiny with wire floors, those poor buns definately need help.:shock:

i had a horrible feeling she might be ahoarder, thank goodness u checked it out first, i know a lot of cages in the states are tiny with wire floors, those poor buns definately need help.:shock:

Only just saw this. So lucky that you checked it out, at least you have tried. I also had a similar feeling as she had so many animals as she said she was a profesional person. I think it's very rare that you can have 2 kids, dogs and that many bunnies, look after them all well and hold down a good job. I'm not saying it's impossible as people on here may do it but I think it takes a vey special person to make it work.

You definitely should report her as that place sounds awful. Glad your Eddison didn't end up there. Hope you have more luck soon.

Even I'm shaken by that. What a terrible experience for you & the animals you saw there. I'm so sorry.

I'd def inform the RSPCA..... to save the other buns at least.... poor critters... if they really are rescued then they are going from one hell to another, thank god you didnt let Eddison go!!

(I was a bit dubious.... the email kept repeating itself... almost as though they were nervous or over excited??)

Good luck finding a much better home for lil Eddi

OMG how awful, those poor bunnies stuck with her :(

So much for my optimism that she may be a nice RU-type person genuinely offering a good home :(

Back