• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating cardboard again! URGENT!

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Hi All

I've woken up this morning to hear Jose ripping apart and eating a cardboard box, he seemed to have stopped doing this hence why i put the boxes back in his pen.

I think he's eaten quite a bit, so what do I do? Am I ok to leave him or do i need to take him to the vets?

I havent seen him poo yet but he's eaten hay since

I've taken all the box away from him now

I feel physically sick with worry

Mine eat loads and loads of cardboard. When I told the vet, she said it's not great for them but it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.
The alternative is that they eat the rug :roll: so she said cardboard is preferable!

If I don't leave cardboard out they either chew the rug or pull newspaper that I use to line their litter trays to eat!

Mine eat loads and loads of cardboard. When I told the vet, she said it's not great for them but it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.
The alternative is that they eat the rug :roll: so she said cardboard is preferable!

If I don't leave cardboard out they either chew the rug or pull newspaper that I use to line their litter trays to eat!

I'm just worried sick that I'm going to come home from work and find him dead

I'd come home at lunch to check on him but my cars going in for its MOT this morning and not sure I'll get it back in time (They're collecting it from work and dropping it back to me)

Its put my mind at rest slightly that your buns eat it, but im still scared

No need to go grey over it. Just make sure he's still pooping which he will!
Could try giving him untreated willow or "chewing sticks" from a pet shop or getting your own for him apple, pear, prunings. Eating bark from "safe trees" is better for them.

He's got willow balls, a fruit twig thing, one of those "cardboard" chubes, a wooden ball thing that he's allowed to chew and lots of hay - so why go for the cardboard??? He doesnt seem to bother with anything else

Thank you both for putting my mind at rest :) I think i feel well enough to go to work now lol

I have strong views cos I've a bunny with dental & gut "stasis" probs.
There are real risks of blocking the gut if they eat paper & cardboard regularly, but very unlikely with a one off. We can avoid most of it.

Most likely here, is that your bunny didn't like the box where it was - prefers his cage with more space & better view for potential "danger"- or simply changed environment. So he tried to get rid of it.
Bunnies like to chew, it's their instinct to keep their teeth down. Try hay/grass tunnels.
I'm finding bunnies that eat cardboard when their gut is slowing down a bit or they need dental attention. They are trying to increase their fiber but it's the wrong size fibers.
Mine eats wall paper occasionally - usually he's in a temper tantrum about something & being attention seeking!!! or needs a dental.
Some just do it - try hay in the litter tray.

Please remember to watch for poops for the next 24 hours. No poops for 6hours or tummy getting hard (swollen) or less poops than normal - contact vet immediately. AND please don't go grey unless it happens, cos it's unlikely to do so.
All the best Judy & Thumper.

What should mine have then? They have wooden things to chew, various types of hay and grass.....

They are always out of their hutch so can't be that they don't like the box/cardboard where it is.

Barney has only started to do it since we got Blue.

What else shall I get them so they stop chewing cardboard??!

What should mine have then? They have wooden things to chew, various types of hay and grass.....

They are always out of their hutch so can't be that they don't like the box/cardboard where it is.

Barney has only started to do it since we got Blue.

What else shall I get them so they stop chewing cardboard??!

We answer the person who started the thread, sarcol 4940
Your situation is different. You have been advised about your situation by your vet. I am not disputing that eating cardboard is better than eating rug.
Better still is eating neither.

Charlie eats cardboard. I leave toilet roll tubes in his hutch and have done since I got him, he doesn't wolf them down but there's always nibble marks in them, and he's always been fine

We answer the person who started the thread, sarcol 4940
Your situation is different. You have been advised about your situation by your vet. I am not disputing that eating cardboard is better than eating rug.
Better still is eating neither.

I'm sorry. It was within the same vein and the OP had had their question answered. Lots of threads go off on tangents.
I only go on the knowledge I am given, which was by my vet, and on this forum. Sorry if it upset you.

Back