• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit or a Guineu pig

Hi,

I am researching getting either a pair of rabbits or guinua pigs. They would have to be small/mini rabbits as I will have to keep them in my room. I live in a shared house and our landlord doesnt exactly know about the new additions to the household. My flatmate already has two Guinua pigs and I am really going to miss them when she leaves soon (not quite as much as I will miss her lol).

She currently has a huge cage for her's and I would do the same, letting them run free around the lounge in the evenings etc when I am in the house.

I am just looking for advice on whether I am thinking along the right lines with things. Will a rabbit need more exercise? at the moment the piggies come out every other night for a run but spend a lot of time running around their cage (making such a racket!).

Also what are the health issues I will need to deal with generally. I can only find lists of everything which rabbits/piggies tend to be prone too but scenerios for what things I am likely to have to buy/pay for.

Thanks for any advice,

PR

Rabbits need three vaccinations a year, costing about £90 for a pair of rabbits per year.

Rabbits need at least 8-9 hours free range exercise (if the cage is large enough, about 5ft or 6ft), or 24/7 exercise using the cage as a base.

Guinea pigs cost alot less than rabbits :) Guinea pigs dont need vaccinating.

Rabbits, you would have the cost of buying the actual rabbit, if you got the bunnies from a rescue you would be looking at around £75 for a bonded pair (they would be neutered and vaccinated) You would then need to get their myxi vaccs done twice a year, and their VHD javs done once a year. I pay £10.50 each vaccination, but depending what area your in the price will vary. Then it would be a good idea to get them insured, i think this would be around £15-£20 a month for 2 bunnies. This means you wouldnt be paying excessive vets bills if theyre ill, you would just pay the excess... the insurance doesnt cover pre existing conditions though, and you have to read the small print ;) You'd then need to buy hay, pellets, veg weekly. Id estimate that to be around £5-£10 a week for a pair of buns, depending on what hay you bought, it could be more. You would also need to find a rabbit savvy vet in your area, as most vets rabbit knowledge is non existant!

I shall think of more but my brain isnt working right now :p

What area are you in? Well done for finding out all the info first!! xXx

firstly i think you need to talk to your landlord as if he did find out about additions then he could easily evict both you and or your pets and this would be heartbreaking. but its great you are researching first.

only letting buns/g.pigs out every other evening is not enough. you would need a minimum of the equivalent space of a 6x2x2ft hutch and 6x6 run for rabbit to be in most people find a52inch dog crate with a shelf and a puppy pen or a nic cube cage done correctly a large enough space but with bunny proofed free range time out minimum of 3hours a day.(though ideally much more or permantly free range. you need to consider carpet damage, wallpaper stripping, nibbled skirting boards and also litter training if not already done so.

also rabit should be in pairs os doubeup yoru costs. they need 24/7 access to unlimited supplys of hay and this should be fresh hay such as farm yard etc... they also need an eggcupful of pelets(or shot cglass) each mornign adn evening each anda selection of veggies.

vaccinations wise you need to do vhd annually and myxi every 6 months these area round £1650 per injection per bunny.
pet plan do good bunny insurance as if you get a sick bunny it can set you back. also you need someone competant to check on your rabbit or g.pigs if you are away or soemwhere to take tehm with you.

rabbit savvy vets are very important rabbits are exotics adn a vet really who knows what they are doing can be hard to find...but is essential to have we can reccomend in your area,

i know very littel to nothing abotu g.pigs as iv never had any i have hamsters too tho and they may be more suited to you?

i think you are better off with a different pet if they cant get out every night (tho i think its better if any pet can be out every day as much as possible) x

definately guinea pigs, they like to live in pairs, they are less stroppy and as already said no vaccinations etc, but of course they will need vet treatment. Personally i have buns and guinea pigs, and the piggies are much easier.:wave:

Thanks everyone!!

I think its going to be a couple of guinea pigs as they will be much more managable for me. I went into the Pets at Home this afternoon and awwww they had some gorgeous little boys in, they get new ones in every Wednesday they say (but hadnt put them out just yet) so I am going to go back next week and have another look.

Jenny

Well as you might have noticed this is a forum which supports animal rescue and works towards the end of rabbits and other animals being sold in pet shops. I know it can be a little more inconvenient to get a pet from a rescue but the feeling of satisfaction is well worth the effort. The rescue can also help you to choose the right accomodation for the best price and which foods and local vets are best. If you were to post your location I bet we could put you in touch with a rescue who no doubt have the perfect pets for you!

It's fab that you're doing your research!
I know that Kris at Starlights has some young piggles looking for homes, she is also in regular contact with a piggle rescue.
She is in dagenham, Essex.
x

That's nice that you are going to give a loving forever home to a couple of guinea pigs.

I quite agree with the others though who said look in to rescue as there are many deserving a good home - my 2 are from the National Animal Welfare Trust and there are many all around the country looking for homes. Take a look at www.guineapigrehome.org.uk to find available piggies and rescues in your area.

Piggies are easier to look after but still have very specific needs. Their nutrition needs to be just right, as they don't produce vit c. Also, big cages are a must, (like rabbits). I have a c&c cage. This website shows you how to build them: http://www.guineapigcages.com/
They can be rather smelly though, my pigs are much worse than my house rabbit. I've just written some leaflets about piggy care for my local RSPCA if you want I could send you them? :D

Back