• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long journey help......Best Cases?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi

as some of you may have read on 'General Chat' - Earl is coming on holiday with us....

The journey may take up to 4 hours and i was wondering if anyone had any tips for travel.

I am willing to invest on a good carry case if any one can recommend one- plus - i doubt he will drink as he will be a bit scared on the journey- if he didnt eat or drink for 4/5 hours would this cause a problem.

Any tips folkes- please reccomend an ideal car carry case.

Jemma

:lol: regular stops for treats :D and a stretch in the car if possible :wave: and make sure you have plenty of water for them, and make it comfy mine had vetbed, my buns just chilled out - better behaved then the dog

had cat carrier with opening top so they could see me through it and i kept offering them favourite foods

Make sure you put lots of bedding in the carrier, make sure its not slanting, and maybe put it on some towels so the rabbit can't feel the car vibrations as much. If your rabbit wont drink, try dipping some dandelion leaves in water, and giving them to your rabbit just before you go.

what i do....

a week before travel i put avipro (sp) into the water daily.

i pack up the bunnies last so they are in the carrier as little as possible lots of newspaper and hay as alvin pees on a long journey so i cant risk his little bum getting wet, if its a warm day i wet a dark towel and put this over the carrier, we have also travelled thro the night a few times so that they dont get too hot.

i take my own tap water because i read that different water can upset little tummies, i also take the cage and carpet it sits on.

i take lots of soaked veg on the journey, because they refuse to drink and at a stop we have to allow a whole 30mins before they will even start to nibble on the veg. so we usually go get food and walk the dog etc so each stop lasts about 45mins +.

when we get to the other end, cage and litter tray is set up and bunnies are left for about and hour to settle without human interaction and i usually discover millions of poops scattered about the cage :D

our journey can take anything between 5 - 7 hours and so far even with alvin being a stasis prone bunny and pearl being terribly stressed by everything all has gone well and the vets number i take with me has not been needed :D:D:D

i find i stress more than the bunnies do :oops:

mine regualrly travel 2.5 hours tho as my car was breaking this trip took 4.5 hours!!!! so i do understnad a nice sized carreir is a must put some juicy leaves/apple etc in therer tho they are unlikely to eat while moving. do regular stops every hour and a half or so to give them a break form vibrations stretch of legs..albeit on your lap or across back seats or in a fold out pen/harness(if area is safe and your rabbit is used to this only!) and give them a bowl of water while stopped x

Plenty of watery veggies/fruit.

Things like apple,melon,tomato, cucumber and as has already been said hay to munch on.
Any animals I've had to move long journey's I've found have just laid down and slept the whole way.

Could always try a few drops of rescue remedy in the water as well.

Have a lovely holiday

We pretty much do what donnamt does, except our journey is only ever 2.5 hours so we don't take stops, even if you do stop for a few mins they are a bit too anxious to be responsive enough to eat....if we did longer journeys we would stop as donnamt does for longer periods to allow them to 'come round' as it were.
We also use a drop or two each of Bach Five Flower rescue remedy on a raisin each before we set off, I find that helps loads personally.
We cover the carry cage with a towel leaving gaps for air to flow through but keeping it dark enough and so that they can't see the countryside whizzing by. I also keep the car at a good cool but not too cold temp....cool is good, stressed buns get hot, but motionless buns lose heat quickly too. We use air con set to about 19 or 20, less if the sun is out.
I give them both a big plate of freshly washed and wet veggies/leaves before we set off and pack them up into the carry cage as the last thing we do literally as we are going out of the door. We take all their existing blankets etc with fur and scent on them, a used litter tray and all their current toys so everything smells familiar. We also leave them to relax in peace once we have arrived and set the pen and lino up - just making sure that both are tucking into fresh hay and grass in their trays as soon as they are in the pen. I take my medicine kit and the no.s for a local vet which I have looked up before going - including emergency vet no for out of hours. The RCVS website will hold a list for each area. Good luck, as donnamt says, us humans get more stressed!
I find by the time the buns are settling in to the surroundings....it's time to come home again! :lol: Try and stick to normal times and routine too and I would suggest travelling them when they are naturally sleepy if you can. :)

p.s lift any towel over the top off every now and then for air change - heat rises and it can trap in a lot of heat.

We pretty much do what donnamt does, except our journey is only ever 2.5 hours so we don't take stops, even if you do stop for a few mins they are a bit too anxious to be responsive enough to eat....if we did longer journeys we would stop as donnamt does for longer periods to allow them to 'come round' as it were.
We also use a drop or two each of Bach Five Flower rescue remedy on a raisin each before we set off, I find that helps loads personally.
We cover the carry cage with a towel leaving gaps for air to flow through but keeping it dark enough and so that they can't see the countryside whizzing by. I also keep the car at a good cool but not too cold temp....cool is good, stressed buns get hot, but motionless buns lose heat quickly too. We use air con set to about 19 or 20, less if the sun is out.
I give them both a big plate of freshly washed and wet veggies/leaves before we set off and pack them up into the carry cage as the last thing we do literally as we are going out of the door. We take all their existing blankets etc with fur and scent on them, a used litter tray and all their current toys so everything smells familiar. We also leave them to relax in peace once we have arrived and set the pen and lino up - just making sure that both are tucking into fresh hay and grass in their trays as soon as they are in the pen. I take my medicine kit and the no.s for a local vet which I have looked up before going - including emergency vet no for out of hours. The RCVS website will hold a list for each area. Good luck, as donnamt says, us humans get more stressed!
I find by the time the buns are settling in to the surroundings....it's time to come home again! :lol: Try and stick to normal times and routine too and I would suggest travelling them when they are naturally sleepy if you can. :)

p.s lift any towel over the top off every now and then for air change - heat rises and it can trap in a lot of heat.

thank you every one. Its really helpful

does the rescue remedy work then?

Back